This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to simplify startup proceedure

I am a 3 day old ubuntu/kubuntu 9.10 user and so far I have been able to figure things out pretty well. My problem is that when I start or reboot my computer I first have to manually select Ubuntu rather than Windows XP, and then I have to select one of maybe 6 different options for Ubuntu (failsafe, etc). I am able to navigate this without too much trouble, but would like to streamline it so that I don't have to make all those selections and it just reloads the last settings. Otherwise I am pretty sure that someone else that uses this machine is going to mess it up for me.

Is part (or all) of my problem that I downloaded Ubuntu and ran the initial install from Windows? I have a CD too but got impatient waiting for it, so I went with the download before it got here.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Trying to simplify startup proceedure

there are many discussions on the GRUB.. you can go through them
    this one should help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
    the seventh question.

though personally i don't think removing entries from GRUB menu is good idea..
    what happence when you actually have some trouble loading kubuntu normally.. failsafe would come handy.
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I'm running a dual boot of Kubuntu 9.1 and UbuntuStudio 9.1 - so the startup screen offers various login options for me, but it defaults to "previous" - so if I was last in Kubuntu when I shut down or rebooted the computer - it will assume that's where I want to go to once I login again. I like that approach.

Comment

Originally posted by swarthyweasel
        Is part (or all) of my problem that I downloaded Ubuntu and ran the initial install from Windows? I have a CD too but got impatient waiting for it, so I went with the download before it got here.
        So is this the Wubi install? If so, did you read the WebiGuide for any help. I never used that install method before.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks to all. It was a Wubi install and after sifting through all that documentation, I found the solution. I have been looking at so many different forums and user assistance sites that they are all blending together.

thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by swarthyweasel
            I found the solution.
            Well, don't leave everyone in the dark. What was the solution? This is how we help each other, by providing feedback and solutions when a problem is posted and subsequently resolved.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X