X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KpackageKit doesn't ask for root password

hey there,

since the upgrade to karmic kpackagekit doesn't ask for the root password before installing new packages. However, when i install packages from terminal i get asked for the root password...

I've had a look around on the forum and googled to find a fix but haven't come up with anything. any help would be appreciated.

chur!

Re: KpackageKit doesn't ask for root password

It is a known bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...de/+bug/353278

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...it/+bug/367669

+ other duplicates.

Comment

Personally, I use Synaptic, the (comparatively) old, tried and true, GUI package manager for Debian based distros. If this is the first GTK (Gnome ToolKit) application that you're adding to a pure KDE installation, it will bring along a number of dependencies. But that means that you can now add other GTK based apps that you want to try out in a relatively painless manner.

Comment

thanks for the replies.

Dibl, I had a thorough look through those bugs, and it looks like 353278 is probably what's affecting me... I read through the thread and follwed the tests that seemed to offer solutions to what most resembled my problems - it turns out that policykit-kde is not installed, which i found confusing given that prompts for the password are requested when i open other root permissions or when I install via terminal. However, I do have the gnome policykit installed. I tried installing policykit-kde as suggested on the thread - which worked for others in fixing the problem, I believe - but but I got a response claiming I didn't have root permissions. This also resebled the bug ; however, it was the first time I'd gotten this message and , given my novice status I got a bit lost in it all.

So, this brings me to Askriegator : are you suggesting that if I opt for synaptic over KpackageKit that this might solve the security issue with root password requests (especially given the fact that I already seem to have gnome policykit installed and working) ?

If so, this may be the easier option for me...

Comment

ok, I feel a bit stupid here but it turns out I already have synaptic installed... I never installed it and I didn't realise it was installed as an out-of-the-box feature on Kubuntu and KDE... plus, my system is in French, so the name wasn't quite the same (ok, I'm making excuses now )

I ran synaptic and it asks for root password. Should I simply uninstall KpackageKit or is this security issue too small to require this ? I figure that I could try purging and reinstalling KpackageKit if not... this could solve my problem since policykit-kde is a base requirement, right ?

cheers

Comment

Synaptic is NOT installed by default, for Kubuntu. It is installed by default on Ubuntu. So if that system was originally installed as Ubuntu, then that would explain it.

You could remove KpackageKit -- I guess a real villain would use it to remove your running kernel, and that would put you out of business.

Comment

No, it was never installed as an Ubuntu system : Kubuntu is the first Linux OS that I've tried.

I'll probably unistall Kpackagekit given that I have Synaptic already (as soon as i'm convinced it's working properly and all).

thanks for the advice.

Comment

hmmmm. its stupidity like this that makes me question whether the Kubuntu devs know what their doing or not...
                This is a bug that should of been fixed before the stable release of kubuntu 9.10...

Comment

Working...
                X