Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amarok is skipping and/or glitchy with music. Any suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok is skipping and/or glitchy with music. Any suggestions?

Hello All!

I finally got up and running on Kubuntu 9.10. I began to put music on the computer and tried playing some songs but they are all really "choppy" or "glitchy". Any know issues with this or suggestions as to why this would happen?

Also, I tried posting this before but never saw the post after I posted it so if this is a duplicate I greatly apologize.

Re: Amarok is skipping and/or glitchy with music. Any suggestions?

This is the first appearance of this post, so your earlier attempt apparently never got through.

"Music" is a very general term. What really matters is the form of the digital files that you are trying to play. Are they *.ogg (the best format for Linux), *.mp3 (should work without problems), or any one of a dozen other digital formats. Alternatively, you might be putting real plastic CD's into the CD drive on your computer. This should work also, but I'm not sure that Amarok is the correct program to use. Or, you might be using an internet radio station. This works well with both Amarok and Realplayer.

In general, the first step in the debugging process is to localize the problem. Are you sure that the "music" you're trying to play is usable? Did you try more than one? Does it work on another machine? Does it work in windoze? (The first and hopefully last time I'll ever recommend using windoze for anything.)

Comment

Hy!

I'm running Kubuntu 9.10 too and I have problems with Amarok player too...
      The problem is it don't play any music files! Neither mp3-s and m4a-s... And yes, they all playable 'cause i've got Win7 up and runnin'
      But that's the same problem with video files. The Dragon player (i think that's the name of that...) doesn't play any .avi, .mkv or .mpg-s...
      The Sound system is working well, i've try it.

I almost forgot to mention it that i'm totally beginner in linux world...

Comment

Originally posted by pred92
        Hy!

I'm running Kubuntu 9.10 too and I have problems with Amarok player too...
        The problem is it don't play any music files! Neither mp3-s and m4a-s... And yes, they all playable 'cause i've got Win7 up and runnin'
        But that's the same problem with video files. The Dragon player (i think that's the name of that...) doesn't play any .avi, .mkv or .mpg-s...
        The Sound system is working well, i've try it.

I almost forgot to mention it that i'm totally beginner in linux world...
        You probably haven't read this yet
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Comment

My problem consists of me playing mp3s through Amarok. It plays but it seems like it's spiking or something. I don't know if it's processes or what but I wouldn't even know which ones to kill. Any more suggestions?

Comment

Assuming that you have, in fact, installed the appropriate (32 or 64 bit) codec package from medibuntu, the easiest thing to check is your Kmix settings. In the system tray area of the bottom panel there should be a little loudspeaker icon. If you click on it, you'll see a slider for your master volume control. If you click on the "Mixer" button, you'll have a lot more stuff to fool around with. For example, you may somehow have the wrong channels on (or off). I have a very simple system with an amplified, two speaker system. I have the master, front and PCM settings turned all the way up and I use the amplifier on my desktop speaker system to control volume. If your set up is different, you may need some other settings.

The other thought that occurs to me is to try realplayer (also available from medibuntu) as a music player. If it behaves differently than Amarok, you will have isolated your problem. I must admit that the only thing I use realplayer for is to listen to internet music streams from Shoutcast that are no longer available through Amarok, so I don't know whether that would have any bearing on your problem.

Comment

Hi.

I had the same 'glitchy' problem with just one radio stream on Amarok (Radio Paradise) tried various options but I'm now using Realplayer. No problem at all. Only difference is that I chose the stream for Realplayer whereas Amarok decided which one to use before. I canna see any way to see what stream Amarok is using which I think you could do before they 'upgraded it'. Apologies if I'm wrong but choice is limited now too.
              Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
              GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
              Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Working...
              X