This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Security For Kubuntu!

Hey, I was wondering what the best security system is for Kubuntu.
    Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Re: Best Security For Kubuntu!

What in particular are you looking to protect against?

Comment

Well, I'm wanting a good firewall, antivirus, antiphishing, ect., just a really good defense, I have Backtrack, it will take some learning, is it very useful?
      Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

Hello I'm a noob in this OS, but from what I now Windows and Linux differ in their architectures, and one thing in mind while creating Linux was security, so normally you won't have to worry about a direct attack to your system.
        Also the number of viruses (if any, I'm not sure) for Linux may be small compared to windows.

I saw a post a couple days ago of important apps for ubuntu and there was an antivirus/firewall there, I'll search my history and look for it. Also one of my biggest fear in security in any OS will be coming from using the internet, using credit cards, transactions, etc. I'll try to find that post which was very well made and had a good explanation about security.

Comment

Antivirus - clamav (in the repositories) Also see klamav for kde frontend.
          Firewall - gufw, kmyfirewall, or firestarter. All are front ends to the same system, and are in the rep's.
          Free commercial antivirus: avast
          Rootkit scanner: rkhunter (in the repositories)

Yes, you need a firewall and rkhunter. Clamav is more to protect other systems from being infected by files that come through your system already infected, and which probably won't hurt linux, but can subsequently infect other systems.

Depending on how you do email, spamassassin may also interest you.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Hey thanks doctordruidphd, do you know if Backtrack is anything worth looking into?

Comment

Hey thanks doctordruidphd, do you know if Backtrack is anything worth looking into?
              Don't know anything about it, sorry.
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Backtrack is for "penetration testing", as they coyly call it:

http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html

It is mainly for discovering whether your wireless encryption method is secure, or not. It may have other uses ..... But not for improving your system's security.

Comment

Originally posted by thelonegunmen
                  Back Track is the opposite to what you are looking for. Back Track is for finding and testing systems against known vulnerabilitys (Pentesting).

Comment

Hmmm..

I have just installed rkhunter and running a check has thrown up a couple of warnings:

These are in relation to:

Checking /dev for suspicious file types [ Warning ]
                    Checking for hidden files and directories [ Warning ]

Also,
                    /usr/sbin/unhide [ Warning ]
                    /usr/sbin/unhide-linux26 [ Warning ]

There is also a reference to 2 suspicious files although no further info is given. Even the rkhunter log file gives no more info on the issues found.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? Sometimes ignorance can be bliss!

Comment

unhide is not a problem; it is a program installed with rkhunter. Look at the man page: man unhide
                      unhide-linux26, along with unhide-tcp and unhide-posix are also tools of unhide.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog

So, by implication, the system should be clean then you would say ?

Comment

I would say 'yes.' I downloaded/installed rkhunter and chkrootkit and ran both. I got the same results. apt-cache show rkhunter shows:
                          Using rkhunter alone does not guarantee that a system is not
                          compromised. Running additional tests, such as chkrootkit, is
                          recommended.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Another easy to use firewall is GuardDog. Associated with it is an auxillary app called GuideDog, which allows ip forwarding, masquerading, NAT settings, etc... They are in the repository.

The primary use of AV software on Linux is for the protection of your Windows using friends if you happen to pass on an email that is carrying an evil payload.

Another program you can use to see out incoming and outgoing connections while you do your regular ativity is etherape.

Or, from the Konsole, you can issue

sudo lsof > lsof_output.txt

to see all the connections on your system. The pipe into the text file is to make it easier to read using kwrite or some other text editor.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                            X