Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded Kubuntu 9.0.4 to 9.10 and now got no sound!!(SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded Kubuntu 9.0.4 to 9.10 and now got no sound!!(SOLVED)

HI i just upgraded kubuntu 9.0.4 to kubuntu 9.10 although there is no difference that i can see for me,(although im a noob XD ) there is one thing i realized....my sound got screwed...so i got no sound at all whate should i do plz help...got no idea...on where to start!!!! (omg i got already so many threads with problems....i just started using kubuntu and already got like 7 post or more with problems with it although i cant think that kubuntu is worse than windows at all so im gonna keep trying until i get da trick) so plz help me thanks by the way

By the way here u got the lspci list :

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M GS] (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
    03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

Re: Upgraded Kubuntu 9.0.4 to 9.10 and now got no sound!!

Hello, I wanted to report exactly the same problem. After upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 (32 bit) there is no sound. Programs seem to think the soundcard is working since they play without errors.

I have exactly the same audio device as Kiraitachi. My computer is Dell Latitude D830 laptop.

Can anyone suggest to me any tests which I can use to learn more about the problem?

Comment

open Kmix and make shure every thing is turned up some times pcm gets turnd down in a upgrade

if you dont see all the chanels open setings and configure chanels

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks. I have kmixer turned up (Master and PCM). I have also tried to turn master, pcm and headphone up in alsamixer.

Comment

Verify the sound card you are using is at the top of the list under System Settings > Multimedia.

If you have more than one sound card, chances are the one your speakers are connected to is not where phonon is sending the sound.

Mike
          http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

In the multimedia window I tried the test button on each device (even those behind "show advanced devices". Only the PulseAudio device produces an error. On other devices the test button simply presses in but no sound is heard. The default device is "HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)".

No logs in KSystemLog show any error with words like Intel, Audio, Sound, which could be related to the soundcard.

Tomorrow I will try a live cd version to check if the driver in Karmic is even working at all.

Comment

yeah same to me sigurdur i tryed the same stuff went to system sound and tested all devices but none does any sound....idkn what to do....help!!!!!

Comment

Hey can i fall back to the older drivers?? cause drivers of sound for kubuntu 9.0.4 worked perfect on me but not the 9.10.... help!! i got the kubuntu 9.0.4 on image on cd... how should i do it?

Comment

I had exactly the same problem. "Fixed" by unmuting channels called "Side", "Surround", "Center" and "LFE" in KMix. Though this is strange as they were previously disabled (in 9.04) and I'm using headphones or simple 2.1 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by excieve
                    I had exactly the same problem. "Fixed" by unmuting channels called "Side", "Surround", "Center" and "LFE" in KMix. Though this is strange as they were previously disabled (in 9.04) and I'm using headphones or simple 2.1 speakers.
                    THanks dude for the tip ill try that....but..i dont think its gonna work since im in a laptop and the sound comes from out of my laptop...but il give it a try thanks 4 the tip

Comment

Ok, I found this. In KMix I just turned up Speaker (it is to the far right), which of course I carefully didn't see until now...

It is a little similar to the problem you had excieve, the default settings can be to have vital channels either muted or with zero volume which throws people off.

Thanks for the help all, at least this was better than having a truly corrupt driver in the distribution.

Edit: In case the Speaker channel is not visible by default (dont remember how it was set initially), it is made visible via the Settings menu -> configure channels in KMix

Comment

Originally posted by sigurdur
                        Ok, I found this. In KMix I just turned up Speaker (it is to the far right), which of course I carefully didn't see until now...

It is a little similar to the problem you had excieve, the default settings can be to have vital channels either muted or with zero volume which throws people off.

Thanks for the help all, at least this was better than having a truly corrupt driver in the distribution.

Edit: In case the Speaker channel is not visible by default (dont remember how it was set initially), it is made visible via the Settings menu -> configure channels in KMix

THANKS DUDE SO MUCH REALLY I WAS GETTING NUTS!!!!!!! THANKS A LOT I DID EVERYTHING INSTALLED PACKS EVERYTHING U CAN THINK AND NEVER THOUGHT THAT SOMETHING THAT SIMPLE WOULD WORKED XD haha thank!!

Comment

Working...
                        X