Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the internet connection requirement for disk install?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the internet connection requirement for disk install?

I did search for this topic but had no luck.

A while back I ordered a copy of Kubuntu 8.10 and today I decided to install it into Windows.

Then it asked for a internet connection to continue. So I headed to my spot to get online and it is trying to download a 700mb file. This would be fine but I don't have 30 hours to let that happen.

Why is it doing this when the CD should contain everything needed to get the OS installed?
    ===========<br />Acer Aspire 6930<br />Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz<br />64-bit OS<br />Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Re: Why the internet connection requirement for disk install?

I don't have the real answer for you but it sounds like it wants to update everything. All I want to say is that I have installed (K)Ubuntu many times without having a working network connection and it should work. Hopefully someone else here will soon have a good answer for you.

Comment

The CD will make a basic installation BUT

- There is the size limit. There is no room for all localization (language, etc) files.
      - The release CD is frozen at the release moment. With the Kubuntu 8.10 that was 2008-10-30.
      There has been lot of updates -> "it is trying to download a 700mb file"
      The LTS versions are getting updated/pointrelese CD's (also the Kubuntu 8.04 did get
      a updated CD).
      - Copyright or legal reasons. If you want to mp3 support, codecs... you will need to download those.

More:

> Kubuntu wiki
      > Releases
      > Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS released
      > Topic: Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1, Release notes
      > Licensing
      > Restricted Formats Playing DVDs
      > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
      > Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Arrrg!

I really wonder if I was ment to use Linux.

ATM, I'm dling at install again, but faster than usual. I still could not install without the internet requirement. It only gave retry and cancel as options.

I still have the issue of the CD not wanting to do anything after the language selection is chosen if I boot up with the CD. This happened with two download versions as well as the cd on two separate computers.

I have tried it multipule times and let it sit for over 30 mins and it does nothing and is locked up.

Any ideas why this is?

My current set-up is;

Acer Aspire 6930
        Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
        64-bit OS
        Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1
        ===========<br />Acer Aspire 6930<br />Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz<br />64-bit OS<br />Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Comment

please post the link to the .iso file your DLing and trying to install!!!

it should not be insisting on a internet conection UNLESS your trying to do a net install or net boot.

+ please be shure your burning the .ISO's at the slowest speed posabel by your image riting program.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'll keep that in mind if this process doesn't work.

I had a factory disk sent to me that I'm using to install now.

Comment

As it was said, a normal install should not need a working internet connection. Have you tried with a CD downloaded from www.kubuntu.org?
              Patenting software as bit pattern manipulation algorithms is absurd because you cannot patent mathematical algorithms.

Comment

I did but will have to try again as soon as I can get more CD's.

Nothing it normal for me it seems.

Comment

I'm downloading the iso again and I'm going to try that Wubi installer.

Comment

I am certainly not destined to use Linux.

DLed the .iso, installed with Wubi, restarted and pow! Busybox prompt.

Tried booting in the various other options and demo was the only way it loaded completely and was able to use it. All the others eaither hung or gave the busybox prompt.

Tried uninstall and reinstall and got no further than busybox. Tried typing exit and nothing but a repeat.

I have had only one successful install of Ubuntu on an older machine and no success with any.

Comment

The Acer Aspire 6930 is supposed to be a good Linux box except for some difficulty with the sound. I did a search and many people report great success when installing Linux normally. Which makes me think: could this be a problem with Wubi and Vista?

Is there anyone here with Wubi experience?

Comment

I had another thought. Since a normal CD is known to install on that machine, I think some more basic diagnostics is in order. To me the first step is to run some live distro which is known to run on that machine - you can Google that. Once you get that far, then try an installation.

Comment

Have you tried without wubi? Just boot from CD into the Live Session and see if you can install this way (after testing it of course).
                          Patenting software as bit pattern manipulation algorithms is absurd because you cannot patent mathematical algorithms.

Comment

I'm dling Moolux now and will look into installing that ans see where I get.

I don't have a disk large enough to burn Kubuntu on atm but will have to give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddCelt
                              I'm dling Moolux now and will look into installing that ans see where I get.

I don't have a disk large enough to burn Kubuntu on atm but will have to give that a try.
                              ? kubuntu fits on a standerd cd?

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X