This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network dropout loop

Hey guys, I tried searching for a solution to this problem but I couldn't find one.

I'm running kubuntu, 8.10 I think, and using knetworkmanager to manage the network. I haven't turned it on in a while (it's used as our file server but has been out of use). I've got a new ISP and a new adsl2 wifi router that I'm using for our network.

The problem is that when I plug a network cable into the server, and add a new connection in knetworkmanager, it tries to connect but is stuck in a loop where it shows the globe and then the 'trying to connect to a network' icon. Every second or less it switches between these 2 icons. So it seems like it's connecting then dropping out. I tried adding a wifi connection and connecting to that, but the same thing happens, but instead of the globe it shows the successfully connected wifi icon. It only does this when trying to connect to a network.

Any ideas how I could resolve this without an internet connection on that pc?

Re: network dropout loop

It sounds to me like the problem is that you are trying to define the connection in the network manager.
    I am going to assume that you are only running the one router on your network.
    If not you may have conflicts with multiple DHCP servers trying to serve IP addresses.

There are quite a few instances on this forum of knetwork manager not playing nicely with manual configurations.
    If your server is not needing a static IP I would delete all existing configurations from the knetwork manager and just let it get it's information from DHCP.

Once you have this connecting, if you do need a static IP address, first make sure that the DHCP pool in the router is defined to give you some addresses that the router won't try to allocate; ie, 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.255 as the pool.
    Then remove the knetwork manager application and set the IP address manually from the command line.
    Open a terminal and type ifconfig to see what your current configuration is.
    Now you can set an IP by typing ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2
    There is a bit more if you need to set the netmask as well, but that should not be too hard to find. I cannot remember all of it off the top of my head.
    Use an address from outside the DHCP pool set in the router; ie; anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99, given a base IP address for the router of 192.168.1.1
    Whatever IP address you allocate just make sure it is on the same subnet branch as the router; ie, 192.168.1.
    If you don't you will need more arcane configuration to get all your devices talking.
    You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I tried connecting it without the defined connection in knetworkmanager and it still won't connect to the network (no internet in firefox). Knetworkmanager is working fine on the PC I'm on now.

I'm not sure what to do next?

More info: my router's IP is 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, DHCP server range is 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254

Comment

Well, just out of nowhere it kinda started working. Well, ethernet still isn't working at all, but the icons aren't stuck in a loop any more, it just goes straight to the globe icon and doesn't try to connect at all. Wireless on the other hand, when I create a new connection, some times it will connect, and it will be on the network. But the internet is EXTREMELY slow on that PC for some reason.

Maybe an update to the latest kubuntu with all the other updates might fix it, but the internet is running at about 1KB per second!

Any ideas?

Comment

I have no idea how to get my server on the network with a network cable, does anyone know what's going on?

Comment

Maybe this will help.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

Well it's been resolved now. I think it was the wifi card interfering with the on-board network card.

Comment

Working...
              X