X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] How to install Kubuntu over Win XP

Hi all,

I have a hard-disks split into, partition 1, C:\ for XP and 2, D:\ for data. Now I want to install Kubuntu on the C:\ drive but keep the data on the data partition. When I install Kubuntu I do not know how to get by the partition field asking me stuff I don't know. Please help a Linux nitwit
    Linux beautiful to watch!<br />Kubuntu 10.4 with Canon MX310 in Samba network with Windows XP &amp; 7

Re: How to install Kubuntu over Win XP

be carfule and read as mutch as you can find first.

run the Kubuntu cd in live moad first to see how it dose on your hardware then if your happy with it read this

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

#5 is about partitioning!

post back with your intentions BEFOR installing for more sugjeshtons first!!!

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm a poor dumb newb myself but probably you'll want to somehow create some free space on your hard drive for the linux partition(s) - D: doesn't have to be "right next" to C:

The question is, do C: and D: take up your whole disk or not. If they do, you'll need to shrink one of them (D: would be safer) to make room for linux. Installing linux is easy - but do back up your critical data first (I've installed Linux on three machines but had a bad experience on an HP shrinking the C: partition).

It's good advice to post your plan here first...there's amazing experts here to help!

Alex
      Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

First off, defragment the c and d drives before you do any partitioning work. That will minimise your risk of data loss but please, please do a backup as well.

Secondly, what is your desired end result- to dual boot or (as you appear to be suggesting) overwriting XP with 'buntu?

Comment

I wanted to install Kubuntu as a printerserver. I formatted the whole drive and now use only Kubuntu now windows. So my problem is solved.
          Linux beautiful to watch!<br />Kubuntu 10.4 with Canon MX310 in Samba network with Windows XP &amp; 7

Comment

Working...
          X