This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me your opinion

I have ASUS P5K Motherboard and INTEL Core Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00Ghz and 4,00 GB RAM!
    what type of Linux is better for me?

[img width=400 height=319]http://www.lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/PC-A71-b.jpg[/img]

Re: Tell me your opinion

The one that helps you do what you want with your computer.

Comment

what do you mean?

Comment

You will need a 64-bit system to make use of your 4GB RAM.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

You will probably not find a very easy version of Linux for you at the moment.

My computer is 32 bit, ordinary, general, bog-standard, (old!) and for the most part Linux just works. The one thing that I have specially bought is a USB wireless dongle - because it works "out of the box".

Your computer is 64 bit and a bit more modern. Your wireless and internet dongle are a bit different. Even a bit more up to date. Linux will be more difficult/problematic for you.

If you read widely about what Linux is most suitable for newcomers the answer will be mostly Ubuntu, rather than Kubuntu. Certainly there is much more written about Ubuntu.

Possibly the simplest version in "Linux Mint" (http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php). Based on Ubuntu it comes with all the restricted packages already installed...

There is also Super OS, which was previously called Super Ubuntu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_OS) but I have even less experience of that

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Kubuntu will install and work on the Asus P5Q. Don't know about the wireless dongle.

Comment

Thank you guys for your opinion and i know :/
              it's difficult!
              And the biggest problem is the hardware drivers! (sound card , graphic card e.t.c.)
              you know...and also my wifi card
              gigaset usb adapter 108 by siemens!
              i can't find drivers T.T !!!

Comment

Download a live CD of the system of your choice and try. If it doesn't work, try another and so on...
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                  You will need a 64-bit system to make use of your 4GB RAM.
                  Not true. 32 bit kernels compiled with big mem support will do more than 4 GB.

Comment

what i have
                    32bit or 64 bit?
                    i confused

Comment

MH - I was thinking of out of the box support. Judging by the question I dare say that Djnikosburn may not want to compile his/her own kernel

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                        MH - I was thinking of out of the box support. Judging by the question I dare say that Djnikosburn may not want to compile his/her own kernel
                        his :P
                        im a man :P

Comment

No need to compile your own kernel. It simply depends on which box you take your linux out of.

Comment

djnikosburn - no offence

MH, care to elaborate? I for one don't quite follow you.

Comment

Originally posted by Djnikosburn
                              what i have
                              32bit or 64 bit?
                              i confused
                              You have a system that is 32 bit with 64 bit extensions, That means you can run32 bit software or you can install 64 bit software. Welcome to linux, a world in which choice is ever present and knowledge is required. Unless you want to give up your choice just as all the Windows users have, but then why bother with linux?

Comment

Working...
                              X