This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java install error...newbie needs help

Help, getting the install error below when trying to install jre 6. Ideas or solutions very much appreciated.

/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6-13-1_all.deb
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 95033 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking sun-java6-jre (from .../sun-java6-jre_6-13-1_all.deb) ...

sun-dlj-v1-1 license could not be presented
    try 'dpkg-reconfigure debconf' to select a frontend other than noninteractive

Re: Java install error...newbie needs help

It tells you the solution right at the end.

Comment

hate to sound uninformed but how do I execute "the end" solution?

Comment

Your problem is that Sun requires that you sign a license agreement before it will complete the installation of Java. This is difficult (but NOT impossible) to do with a GUI installer.

Personally, I find it MUCH easier to install Java by (a) looking up and writing down the names of the Java packages that I wish to install in my GUI installer, but then... (b) switching to a Konsole (I use Yakuake, but Konsole is also nice) and typing in
        Code:
        sudo apt-get <package name>
        That way, I am guaranteed to see Sun's interminable license and (by paging down) to find the place where I'm supposed to agree to it. If you are an American lawyer, you may read the license agreement before agreeing to it.

Comment

I see a GUI package tool that doe not handle errors may be part of the problem. I think in terms of command line. If you get the message after apt-get (upi probably won't) just run
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure debconf

Comment

This is actually a know bug I summited myself. It has to do with kpackagemanager. It does this kind of thing when the program instalation requires the use of the command line. This is one of the reasons I've had to return to use the command line to install programs.

Comment

Working...
            X