Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would like to remove Okular Document Viewer, but how?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would like to remove Okular Document Viewer, but how?

I don't like the default document viewer 'Okular'.in Kubuntu 8.10
    But if I try to remove it via synaptic it also wants to remove the KDE desktop.
    Is there way to just disable remove Okular without removing the KDE desktop.
    I prefer to use the Adobe Acrobat I have installed as the default PDf viewer

Re: Would like to remove Okular Document Viewer, but how?

I don't think there is, however removing it does not hurt anything. It is a metapackage who only reason for existence is to make it easy to install what it depends on. If you run aptitude show kubuntu-desktop it contains

Description: Kubuntu desktop system
    This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop system. Installing this package will
    include the default Kubuntu KDE installation. It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop system
    packages are not desired.

Comment

okular is just 47kb, I wonder why you want to remove it, do you really need that extra 47kb disk space?

if you don't like it, just don't use it, and you can even remove it from the k menu so that you won't see it's icon. isn't that enough?

Comment

Originally posted by pansz

okular is just 47kb, I wonder why you want to remove it, do you really need that extra 47kb disk space?

if you don't like it, just don't use it, and you can even remove it from the k menu so that you won't see it's icon. isn't that enough?

I just don't like the program. I would prefer to use Acrobat, which to me is faster and suits my needs.
        I don't mind leaving okular but don't want it as my default PDF viewer.

Comment

Then a better question should be: "How to change the default pdf reader application", or "how to change the file type association of pdf". isn't it?

install/remove okular has nothing to do with the file type association.

Comment

Even if you prefer acrobat as a pdf reader, I'd recommend keeping okular around as it can view a multitude of other file formats as well.

You can change the file associations in SystemSettings>Advanced>FileAssociations.
            Search for 'pdf' and change the application preference order by moving acrobat to the top and apply.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
              Even if you prefer acrobat as a pdf reader, I'd recommend keeping okular around as it can view a multitude of other file formats as well.

You can change the file associations in SystemSettings>Advanced>FileAssociations.
              Search for 'pdf' and change the application preference order by moving acrobat to the top and apply.
              Thanks, it was as simple as that.

Comment

Working...
              X