This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Linux

Hello, I am Zymus(Not really, but you know what I mean), and I am hoping to start using Linux. I am very familiar with XP, Vista, and OS X, So I can adapt to new themes(I'm thinking window managers would be a better term) easily. I Pre ordered the 9.04 CD, but I wanted to make sure there were no hardware compatibility issues. I've read that sometimes using an ATI Radeon HD 4890 GFX card it gets really glitchy. Here's the list of hardware I'm planning on getting. (the parts ending with a semi-colon are the parts I already own.)

Case: Thermaltake VI Mx VH9000BWS;
    PSU: Thermaltake 850w;
    Mother Board: Giga-Byte GA-EP35-DS3R;
    CPU: Intel Quad-Core Q9550: $269.99
    RAM: DDR2: mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel: $64.99
    Hard Drives:
    1: 320GB Western Digital;
    2 - 4: 1TB Western Digital//WD1001FALS, Caviar Black: 109.99 each.

CD/DVD Drive: ASUS DRW-22B1LT: $28.99
    Graphics Card: XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890: $249.99

Total: $623.96
    Would there be any Hardware compatibility issues at all? Also, where would I get a good wireless PCI card? The one's I've seen don't have Linux support >.<

P.S. I'm planning on having 8 Gigs of RAM. So how big should the swap partition be? I've read that you can get away with the same amount as your RAM, but I've also read that it's safe to go with 2x RAM.

Re: New to Linux

Hi,

I use Kubuntu 8.10 (64bit) also on a new configured overclocked PC & Kubuntu runs nice & smoothly 8).
    The new version I did not download yet, I will wait until I'm sure it's stabil.

I have put also 2 harddisk at mine PC. 1 for windows xp & 1 for kubuntu.
    If I want to work with windows, I just pull out the sata cable of mine kubuntu HD & put it to mine windows xp hd.
    If you have ever trouble, whatever it may be, it will never affect your 2 systems & you have never to trouble around with bootmanagers

I find it the most easy way

greetz 8)

The diamond can not be polished without friction, <br /> nor a man perfected without trials.

Comment

You can go to this site for wireless cards.
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

Comment

THanks for the help. I've decided to go with the ENLWI-N Wireless card. And how about the Swap partition? SHould it be = RAM size? or 2x RAM Size?

Comment

Here is a link about swap partition
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Comment

Ok. So I'm going to have a 16 gig Swap partition. Would it be a problem if I had 8 gigs of Physical RAM?

Comment

> All About Linux Swap Part 3: Analysis

Desktop
              Because the old “two times” model is bunk, some are recommending a new allocation guideline that goes something like this:

RAM Swap
              ≤ 2GB = RAM
              > 2GB = 2GB
              Laptop

Assuming similar usage patterns, you can follow the guidelines as a desktop, with one major exception. Because of the ability to hibernate - if you plan to use this functionality - allocate at least as much swap as you have of system memory. This is especially important during partitioning, because Linux cannot hibernate to a swap file.

Server
              Red Hat’s own recommendations for RHEL5 are as follows:
              RAM Swap
              ≤ 4GB ≥ 2GB
              4GB - 16GB ≥ 4GB
              16GB - 64GB ≥ 8GB
              64GB - 256GB ≥ 16GB

Links:

> Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              > How much swapspace does one realyy need?
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I have all the info I need to build my computer. Now I just need to get a job...

Comment

Working...
                X