This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with adept

This is my very first post here so first off I'd like to say hello. I have been reading the forums for awhile while at work trying to learn to use Kubuntu. I am very new to linux in general. Any time I use Adept to download a program it gives me an error no matter what I try to install. I get this error

APT Error. Context:
    Package download failed,
    I wasn't able to locate a file for the sun-java6-jre package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package. (due to missing arch),
    : ,
    : ,
    :

I dont know what to do about it. If I try and use the terminal for say vlc, sudo apt-get install vlc it will give me this error message,

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I have successfully installed firefox and that is all. I have read anything and everything I can to figure this out but still no results. I dont know if its just something I am doing or if it is something I am not getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Re: problem with adept

Install the metapackage called "kubuntu-restricted-extras" - that will install, amongst other things, JRE.

Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    You can only have one download application running at a time Synaptic OR Adept OR the Terminal. They all access only one database and they can't all do it together!
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi and welcome.

Adept can be a bit flaky from time to time. The alternative, synaptic is generally held in higher esteem and besides I think the author of adept has now given up on the project.

First, get rid of the lock. Assuming you did not have both open at the same time, rRebooting ought to do it. Once you have done it open a terminal and type

Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      Then on the prompt your password

That ought to clear out any "blockages" that have occurred in the install process.

Then type

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      You should then see the computer downloading the latest package list.

Then

Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      And you ought to be able to download/install synaptic.

Then install the package that arochester refers to

Comment

Im probable the only one that thinks that adept is better and a lot easier to use then am I LOL.

Comment

Nice to know that Adept has a fan but I believe ( as The Liquidator said) that the guy who supports it has decided to pull the plug in view of KDE's KPackage thingee.

So perhaps you should move to Synaptic (the 'All singing All dancing' alternative) before Adept vanishes totally.
          Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
          GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
          Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Thank you for all the help, synaptic works for me. I read on here that synaptic was better but that adept still worked fine but I guess it doesnt for me. I am now a new fan of synaptic, thank you for all the help.

Comment

Working...
            X