X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions.

Hey all..

Since I'm going to install Kubuntu 8.10 on my Acer Aspire 5715Z laptop I had some questions. And I was hoping that someone could give me some answers
    Before you go all like can't you find this stuff on your own? Well... no. I'm new to linux and I really don't know where to look and HOW to look. Sure there must be a way, like using some specific keywoards but if I see some txt as listed below I'm getting confused.

- Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10
    - Ubuntu Hardy Heron LTS 8.04
    - Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10
    - Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04
    - These are my choices voor downloading VLC media player :-X

Currently I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate and I fairly had enough of it...
    What I want to know is: can I use this programs (or some that are similar to these) that are listed below ?

1 WinRAR
    2 Quickpar
    3 Grabit
    4 VLC media player

And here are the things that I do with the software.

1 Mostly packing and/or unpacking of large files (4 gb ++). Also splitting large files up into smaller 50 mb files.
    2 Repairing my binary downloads.
    3 Downloader binary files (.NZB)
    4 Watch .iso files

Also I came a cross a topic (not sure if it was on this forum) regarding my wireless modem. Anyone know if it is struggle to get a wireless connection with this type of laptop? Or where to find drivers.

So if anyone can and will help me I'd be very thankfull.
    <br />

Re: Some questions.

I probably can't be any help, but I wish I could. I also am new to the Linux world, and am in the process of putting Kubuntu 8.04 on my Acer Aspire Laptop. My laptop is the inexpensive 5515 and did not handle Vista very well. I am well pleased so far with how well it runs Kubuntu.
    Kubuntu is Ubuntu with a different graphical interface. It uses KDM instead of Gnome. I chose K on someone's recommendation.
    I've put in a lot of hours installing, crashing, reinstalling, etc. I wish I could tell you a way to avoid all that. I chose 8.04 because it is stable. I'm glad I did. My last crash was after trying to set up a second monitor. I finally noticed that just as K started to boot up, it said to press ESC for a boot menu. I did, and found two options that looked like they may work. The first was recovery and it did not help. The second was repair the X server and it worked like a charm.
    I think if you are willing to suffer a little, you will find that there are plenty of good programs to do anything you may want to do, and probably better than in Windows.
    I wish you the best. Hopefully there will be some experienced folks that will weigh in with some substantial help tomorrow. About all I can give is encouragement.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement I'm really looking forward to install / reinstall and crashing the system haha.

So Kubuntu 8.04 is more stable then 8.10? And how did you fix your wireless network card?

<br />

Comment

Wireless

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3980478

Linux Equivalent Applications

Google: linux windows equivalent

Shows e.g Winrar=Karchiver, File Roller, ark, hjsplit

Are you going to keep both Windows and Kubuntu or totally wipe out Windows?
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu forums

Here is an excellent guide to installing Kubuntu
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=197.0

In the forums there are many choices, for example how tos are found

Kubuntu Forums > Important Information > Documentation > How To's

start at Kubuntu Forums and there are many helpful links

Enjoy!
          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Welcome!

I found 8.10 to be more trouble-free than 8.04, but others have had a different experience. Also, FYI, we're only a month away from the release of 9.04, and only a week away from the Beta release.

In my signature is a link to quite a few "how-tos" that are commonly asked about. Good luck!

Comment

Don't know about items 2 or 3 in your list, I'm sure there will be equivalents, but the VLC media player is available in the repositories, so you can simply install it from within your package manager.

Comment

First off I wan't to thank all of you for the replys.. I'm sure they'll help out with everything.

Originally posted by arochester
                Are you going to keep both Windows and Kubuntu or totally wipe out Windows?
                I'm going to wipeout Windows completely.. And combining my 2 150gb HDD as one 300 gb HDD. Planning on installing it later today when I'm back home.
                <br />

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
                  Welcome to Kubuntu forums

Here is an excellent guide to installing Kubuntu
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=197.0

In the forums there are many choices, for example how tos are found

Kubuntu Forums > Important Information > Documentation > How To's

start at Kubuntu Forums and there are many helpful links

Enjoy!
                  The guide is very helpfull and I sure am going to use it!
                  <br />

Comment

So far I came across these apps that are equivelant to the ones I mentioned

Quickpar - gpar2
                    Grabit - klibido
                    WinRAR - Karchiver
                    VLC - remains

So.. If all goes well there shouldn't be a problem.
                    <br />

Comment

For some more encouragement, I have 8.10 running on My Acer Aspire 3618. Works Flawlessly. No Issues at all. Love it. The link Dibl gave has a lot of information that will be helpful. All of my machines run 8.10 with no problems (except for a test machine @ work that is on JJ Alpha 6 - 9.04). Go For It!

Link to Picture of How Compositing Effects appear on that Acer: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=239

Comment

Hey, welcome! I started using Linux about 1.5 years ago...there is a learning curve, but well worth the time investment, and this forum is one of the best around...lots of help, and most posts are very respectful.

and....

love your avatar...sucks that SGA had to end.

mm0
                        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I think kubuntu is the best OS that i have used but if your new to linux i would advise doing a dual boot for a while to see if you like it cause it takes a while to get used to it.

Comment

I've found kpar2 as a KDE version for Quickpar...

WinRAR - Karchiver, Ark
                            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
                            X