This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help, in the middle of installing kubuntu along with windows

I have xp installed on a 1Tb hard drive, but I'm installing kubuntu on a separate 20Gb hard drive. On step 6 of the install, I clicked on the advanced... button. Do I need to keep "install boot loader" checked, and if so, which device do I install it on, the primary hard drive with xp, or the secondary one I'm installing kubuntu on? Right now it is set to (hd0). I'm worried about the MBR getting messed up and not being able to boot into windows. Also, the 1Tb hard drive is SATA, and the 20Gb is IDE. I don't know a lot about hard drives, but my friend said he set the IDE hard drive to slave (hope this information helps).

But yeah, I'm just kinda sittin here in the middle of the install...

Re: need help, in the middle of installing kubuntu along with windows

You can leave it at (hd0), and THEN ...
    The Kubuntu bootloader (GRUB) will overwrite the XP bootloader (NTLDR) in the Master Boot record (MBR) of the first BIOS boot drive (which is the XP drive). GRUB will then boot both XP and Kubuntu. This is how most of us do it, but ...
    If you ever want to restore the XP loader in the MBR of that drive, you will need the XP CD to fix things up right.

For all your options, see SECTION 6 of this:
    GRUB toolkit:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I set it to hd1 and it installed the bootloader on the 20Gb hard drive. It installed without a problem. My computer boots into XP unless I hit f8 to get into the boot menu, and from there I can boot from the drive kubuntu is installed on. Thanks for the help

Comment

Good. Nice work, that1guy112.
        Welcome to the forum
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X