X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Upgrading packages

Hi,
    My Ubuntu/Gnome (Laptop) seems to "check for updates" automatically - maybe once every few weeks I download the updates (like a well trained windows user I suppose).

My Kubuntu/KDE 3.5.9 (desktop) exhibits no such behavior that I am aware of. Looking for upgrades in my package manager lists 324 "upgradeable" packages...

1) Some basic tools of the trade -- adept, gedit, bash, sudo, gcc,
    2)programs commonly used -- Amarok, Kaffeine, kwalletmanager, konqueror, ktorrent.
    3) Others I don't think I use at all and am even wondering are they really installed -- ruby for instance (adept says it is installed and is upgradeable to 1.8 ).

How do I decide when/what to upgrade? Wait until there's a problem? Here about it from someone? Hit the "upgrade all" button (?!) (so to speak).

Thanks for any tips,
    Alex
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Re: Upgrading packages

This is like asking why your religion is important ...

From this user's perspective:

I update only once a week and then make a complete image of my ops partition. I retain these image files for 3 weeks. I do this in the event that I have to revert back to a previous week's configuration due to updates-gone-bonkers (infrequent but does happen). I do not allow automatic updates but rather do it on my schedule only.

Just one perspective....

IndyTim

Comment

There are programs in Kubuntu that would likely use libraries programed in python, perl and ruby to run specific tasks. Amarok uses ruby to check something online (some database? some artist info?).

If Adept or Synaptic or Update Manager offer you upgrades, then check out which upgrades do you need and what upgrades can you cancel. A kernel update is a must, I guess and so would be a kdm, kwin, kde-desktop, konqueror / dolphin, konsole upgrade...
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Synaptic offers you a choice regarding automatic updates - daily, two days, weekly or fortnightly.
        Adept doesn't but there are ways around that.

How do you connect to the internet? Broadband, dial-up, limited access?
        As said above, look at the updates being offered and choose the ones you want.
        Generally the updates fix small problems, even security problems, so it's a good idea to update all.

Another reason is that if you find a bug or a problem in a package, and you're using an older version, then it can't help the developer very much to report a problem with an older out dated package.

I have to carry my notebook to a slow internet cafe (there aren't any fast ones here), and I update each day that I go to the cafe, usually three to four times a week.
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Thanks for the replies. In regard to my connection its a wired LAN with cable broadband to the internet so its fast and always available.

For me, generally, I will upgrade software as soon as a new release comes out (but more conservative with actual O/S software and desktop packages...). Perhaps vis-a-vis IndyTim's post, this is a good time for me to work out my backup strategies as well.

Should I be afraid to just "go for it" and upgrade all upgradeable packages? There's nothing of great value on my desktop - I could easily re-install if something went terribly wrong.

--Alex
          Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Hi,
            Okay "took the plunge". I saw that Adept has a "safe upgrade" option on the main Adept menu - this in effect installed almost everything anyway - all but 10 of 300+ upgradable packages. No problems. No I'm curious about the remaining 10 - why wouldn't adept consider them safe? If there's any connection here they appear to mostly relate to BIND and the linux kernel itself, plus a wrapper for ssl.

Would the kernel upgrades actually upgrade my 3.5.9 to 4.1 or something like that?

[img width=400 height=132]http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt259/alex44141/Linux_Forums/20090322_kdeupgrades.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Barnes
              Okay "took the plunge". I saw that Adept has a "safe upgrade" option on the main Adept menu - this in effect installed almost everything anyway - all but 10 of 300+ upgradable packages. No problems. No I'm curious about the remaining 10 - why wouldn't adept consider them safe? If there's any connection here they appear to mostly relate to BIND and the linux kernel itself, plus a wrapper for ssl.
              "safe upgrade" means "upgrade packages that can be upgraded without installing new packages or removing installed packages (due to changed dependencies). (similar to 'apt-get upgrade')

"full upgrade" means "upgrade packages even if that means installing new packages or removing installed packages". (similar to 'apt-get dist-upgrade')

Comment

Thanks kubicle - that's a great explanation. I upgraded the remaining packages. Everything is copacetic! To answer my own question, I do appear to be upgraded to 3.5.10 rather than 3.5.9 - I believe that's as a result of the last upgrades I just installed (stupidly, forgot to check first). Anyway, I'm doing fine. Just saw some great reviews of 4.2 also - maybe its time to move on to the latest and greatest.

Alex.

Comment

Re: [solved] Upgrading packages

It is almost time to go to the latest and greatest. 9.04 is getting better everyday and KDE4 is great. I would say it is something of a revolution in desktops. In about 1 month you should upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                  X