This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninstallation

I tried to install prboom (a free redoing of the original doom) through the konsole, and unfortunately, it freezes every time I try to run it. Since I've decided to remove it, I find it necessary to ask a very fundamental question--that is, how do I uninstall something?

I'm capable of uninstalling a package that I get using the Adept manager; what's the process for the Konsole?
    And if I ever download a file that I can't get through the package manager and install it, how do I remove that? Do I merely delete it once I've finished with it, or is the process more involved?

Re: Uninstallation

apt-get --purge remove package_name
    (or sudo apt-get, as required)

Caution: the option --purge will cause configuration files to be removed. Heard some cases where some of those files might be needed by other apps.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
      apt-get --purge remove package_name
      (or sudo apt-get, as required)

Caution: the option --purge will cause configuration files to be removed. Heard some cases where some of those files might be needed by other apps.
      So, make sure that I'm only removing the program package, not any general-utility thing it (and possibly other things) depends on?

What about non-package programs?

Comment

You can use "checkinstall" To get manually installed packages to the Adeptmanager.

install it and when you install new packages from tar ball(*.tar.gz files and similarities)
        do usual,
        Code:
        ./configure
        Code:
        make
        then instead "make install"
        use "checkinstall"

Check their manual for more details. It is clear and easy to read.

hth
        --------<br />Kasun Gajasinghe,<br />University of Moratuwa,<br />Sri Lanka.<br /><br />Blog: http://kasunbg.blogspot.com<br />Twitter: http://twitter.com/kasunbg

Comment

Working...
        X