This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Grub woes and lost kubuntu ?

I made space for windows 7 by chopping up my hard drive because i didnt want to lose xp or kubuntu .
    However when i did that i got a line 17 error is there a way to fix this with out killing Kubuntu? i woudl like to know for the future as i will likely kill windows 7 eventually . Which will change the boot record again thus confusing grub? any ideas?

Re: Line 17 error in Grub

Well if that was all thats wrong that would be great . first i reinstalled kubuntu of win 7 now i installed win 7 to the drive it was slated to go to . Now windoze is there but not even gag bootloader can boot the recent install of kubuntu any ideas>>>>??

Comment

Re: Grub woes and lost kubuntu ?

Try Super Grub Disk Live CD -- it should boot your Kubuntu.

Super Grub Disk:
      http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

As for your 7, try re-installing GRUB (from the Kubuntu GRUB files, in the Kubuntu partition) to the MBR of your first BIOS boot drive (hd0).
      Then you'll notice that selecting Windows will give you two choices: the new one or previous Windows versions = XP.

Use SGD to boot into Kubuntu (or use the Live Kubuntu CD), to re-install GRUB.
      Konsole
      sudo grub
      grub>find /boot/grub/stage1
      pick the partition (hdx,y) corresponding to your Kubuntu partition.
      Use that here:
      grub>root (hdx,y)
      grub>setup (hd0)
      grub>quit
      $exit
      re-boot to test it.

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Grub woes and lost kubuntu ?

I used the live CD :-) It worked very well took 5 minutes saved me a reinstall
        i printed it out for future use . You and others is why no other linux distro does it for me . support here is great!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X