This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual monitor question

I have an Acer 5100-3949 laptop with a 19" monitor attached. Presently the two monitors display the same thing. With the help of http://www.linuxine.com/2008/06/how-...-in-linux.html, I am trying to get 2 different screens. The files I get are version 8.561 instead of 8.433. Also I'm running the 64 bit version of Kubuntu. In step 6 I get the following:

jim@jim-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-flgrx_8.561-0ubunyu1_amd64.deb
    dpkg: error processing xorg-driver-flgrx_8.561-0ubunyu1_amd64.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    xorg-driver-flgrx_8.561-0ubunyu1_amd64.deb
    jim@jim-laptop:~$

I'm mostly a newbe and lost!

Jim

Re: Dual monitor question

Are your drivers installed and working ? Not sure which step #6 you refer to?

Disable any desktop effects before (re)installing any drivers, this caused alot of headache for me.

Here's a guide that helped me set up drivers (I followed the 3rd option) but as they suggest I think it could be wise to rule out the 1st and 2nd easy way to install drivers.

Or you could use EnvyNG, easy tool to add and remove graphic drivers.

When you have your drivers up and running the command

Code:
    aticonfig --help
    and some about configuration and/or the link you gave.

(Keep in mind I'm quite new and learning Kubuntu myself, and I don't run a laptop)

Hope that could be of some help.

Jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

OK, I loaded and ran EnvyNG, and printed the --help result. I then ran:

jim@jim-laptop:~/Desktop$ aticonfig --initial=dual-head
      Uninitialised file found, configuring.
      Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0
      aticonfig: Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. Bad file descriptor.
      jim@jim-laptop:~/Desktop$

So I then:

jim@jim-laptop:~/Desktop$ aticonfig --initial=check
      Check: No fglrx section.

and

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1037 2009-01-08 02:48 xorg.conf

LOST AGAIN!

Step 6 was on http://www.linuxine.com/2008/06/how-...-in-linux.html,

I don't understand why this is so hard, you can do this in window$ with a couple of clicks.

Jim

Comment

I think EnvyNG was corrupt! I removed it, went to albertomilome/envyng.html and installed envyng-qt. Success! I still am not completely happy tho. Second screen background is blinding white and when you maximize windows they are bigger than the screen. The maximize, minimize and quit buttons are all off the edge and you can't move the window. It's still better than it was however. ATI Catalyst control center does not address these problem that I can see.

Jim

Comment

I was to reply and got a message about a new post, nice to see you got it running. I thought the driver issue could (or can) be something with the Xpress 1100 card you got (or so I presume?), some of the laptop cards seem to cause alot of hassle for many from what I read.

Second screen background is blinding white and when you maximize windows they are bigger than the screen. The maximize, minimize and quit buttons are all off the edge and you can't move the window.
          That could have something to do with CRT/LCD options, since CRT cut some off the screen, as far as I know. And/or it could be cause of resolution difference between the 2 screens ( When I installed my drivers I got a nice pitch black screen before I cut off some resolution options)

Code:
          aticonfig --query-monitor
          And you should be able to force monitor display.
          All options should be in the

Code:
          aticonfig --help
          Oh and keep in mind if you want to change the xorg.conf don't forget to back it up and to add the sudo prefix before aticonfig when changing anything (hence the error on your prior post, I think).

ex.
          Code:
          sudo aticonfig --resolution=0,1280x1024,1024x768
          I might be wrong but I assume that the 0 suggest your main screen while a 1 would be your secondary screen .. maybe someone care to shed some light on that.

B.R and good luck

Jonas
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
          X