Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best way to install on this laptop (if possible)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way to install on this laptop (if possible)

i am new to linux , I have installed debian with success on desktop but i was basically lucky because I did not have problems.
    I want to install linux on this laptop
    compaq presario 12xl500 laptop 320ram,6 gig hd (for now ), celeron 766 , dell 1150 wireless card
    broadband internet access.

I want to be able to access internet at minimum and to install additional apps

Is it possible to install a kubuntu on this ?
    if no what are alternatives of linux?

I help/advice apprecatied

Re: best way to install on this laptop (if possible)

compaq presario laptop
    Which model?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

compaq presario 12xl500 laptop 320ram,6 gig hd (for now ), celeron 766 , dell 1150 wireless card
      broadband internet access.

Comment

The system requirements can be found here:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

The specifications given in the original post seem to be closer to (though, not quite at) the recommended specs.

That being said, creating/acquiring/using a bootable "live CD" (http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download) should be a good indicator of whether (and how well) the major components (network cards, sound system, USB ports and peripherals, etc.) will work "out-of-the-box".

Some tweaking/assembly may be required...
        Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Comment

Installed it on a Old Compaq Presario 1247 basic specs:

400mhz AMD K6-2 3dnow Processor
          196 Megs ram
          4 gig hd
          cd-rom

Had to do a non gui install and disable a bunch of services but it would kinda run it ( no guarentees ) so you should be able to install and run it. Will probably require a bit of tweaking though.

Comment

You probably have enough ram to install with the alt. disk. A lot of very smart users prefer this to a live disk install. You might not have enough ram to run a live disk. If you were able to instal debian why not just add the KDE desktop. It should usen less resources?

Comment

Working...
            X