This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few Minor Questions

Is there a Kubuntu alternative to Windows' ctrl + alt + delete? I know theres ctrl alt backspace but I don't want to have to login and load my desktop each time a program malfunctions.

Is there an easier way of uninstalling programs rather than having to bring up Adept and search for them to uninstall?

I have a Pinnacle TV tuner for my comp, is there a Program out there that will get it to work on Kubuntu?

I have a Logitech Quickcam Chat webcam, it's active light is always on under Kubuntu, is there a driver or program out there for that?

I have checked the Logitech and Pinnacle websites, they don't support Linux so I guess I'm looking for an independent thing liek so many Linux programs are.

NEW-> When fetching the current packages on Adept, is it common/ expected to have a few fails on the list?

NEW-> How can I get Adept to stop asking for my password when I open it?

Thats all I can think of for now, thanks in advance.

-Justin

Re: A Few Minor Questions

If you need to kill an unresponsive program, press Ctrl+Alt+Esc. This will turn you mouse pointer into X. Put the X over the program and click. The program is killed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi,
      First ctrl+alt+esc dose not work on my machines, I use ctrl+esc to open system activity and find and kill from there. Most like cad for windows.

Next I have not use this but have heard good things about it. MythTV and its in the repos. I found it with synaptic.

Noel VH
      ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Functions in Intrepid 8.10:
        K Menu > System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > KDE components: KWin > Kill Window
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello Justinforasec;

As far as your webcam is concerned. Give Skype a try. I just bought a Logitech webcam and it worked right out of the box with Skype. Just go to the website and create a free account.

Adept is a good package management application. I used it for quite awhile, and I still do for keeping my system updated, but I prefer the Synaptic package manager. Several Linux guys, on this forum -- much smarter than I am believe it's a more secure way of installing and removing apps.

Of course there's always the command line:

$ sudo apt-get install <package name>

$ sudo apt-get remove <package name>

It's a very quick way of installing and removing programs from your Kubuntu system.

I thought I'd never use a terminal window with such a well-layed out gui like KDE, but I find myself opening a terminal more and more these days. Keep swinging!

mhumm2
          "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Re: webcam.

They kinda broke the USB video drivers in going to kernel 2.6.27, so it doesn't work out of the box. Go to the last two posts on this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098024.0

1. Download and install the patch.

2. Install the new libv4l-0 package.

3. Use the command as indicated to start your video app.

I'm told the new v4l packages are not far from release, and will fix this unhappy situation.

Comment

kool, thanks for the help guys

-Justin

Comment

Working...
              X