This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows cannot open this file.

Yeah. That's what I get when I try to open the 8.10 .iso file. If I ever get Kubuntu onto my computer this will be my first experience with Linux, so I'm not at all familiar with this. I'm not even really that familiar with Windows. What do I do??

Also, can this downloadable iso file be run live? I need to convince someone that we need it.

Re: Windows cannot open this file.

ok, so I am guessing you have downloaded the .ISO image from the kubuntu.org site.
    you can use it as a live cd. just burn the .ISO image to a disc at a slow speed (4x is usually the best)
    Then, all you will need to do is set your cd/dvd drive as the first boot device in BIOS.
    If you are not sure how to do that..... when booting your pc, there will be a key you need to hit. It is not always the same key on every computer... most common would be F1, F12, or Delete.
    Once you are in BIOS, go to start up and set the CD drive as the first boot option, save and exit, put the disc with the .ISO in the drive and reboot. The live CD should then boot and you can play with the OS without making any changes to your system.
    If you decide you like it, you can then install. ((((Make sure to back up anything you want to keep before installing!)))

If you need any more help, just post back here.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Just to clarify, a .ISO file is a CD image. You need to use a program to burn it to your CD. Once that is done, you can run Ubuntu live from the CD.

Comment

The error you're getting is because you don't have a program in Windows associated with the .iso file. If you don't have a CD burning program then Nero works quite well. If you already have one then right-click on the .iso file and tell Windows to open with that program.

Comment

Working...
        X