This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to do a clean install but dont know weather to use 8.10 or 8.04

hi guys want to do a clean install but dont know weather to use 8.04 or 8.10 he is my hardware

asus motherboard with AMD 64 4Ghz 759 socket
    nvidia 7600 gt AGP
    2gig Corsair XMS DDR
    onboard sound
    razor diamond back mouse
    razor keyboard

so what do i do because all i keep hearing is that 8.10 has major issues with Nvidia

Re: want to do a clean install but dont know weather to use 8.10 or 8.04

I have a Nvidia 8600 GT XXX and it works fine. You just have to select the correct driver to install.
    I would say that 8.10 would be fine with what you have.
    I guess it would depend on your preference of the KDE desktop.
    Some people really love the KDE 3.5 and other's (like myself) like the KDE 4.1
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Maybe these links help:

> Kubuntu 8.10 KDE 3 to KDE 4 Migration FAQ
      > Is KDE 4.1 for you?

even more links > Topic: Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1, Release notes
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

i dont mind the kde4 if it is a bit vista looking its just the GPU driver issue that worrys me so anyone using it with a 7600 or 7xxx card to re-assure me

Comment

You can make a Kubuntu 8.10 Live CD and boot that and play with it for awhile, to see how it likes your hardware. It will use the "nv" driver, or it should. After installing on your hard drive, you can use EnvyNG to install the actual Nvidia driver, so you can have 3D. But, I would expect you'll find the Live CD a reasonable experience, except for its slow speed due to running off the CD.

Comment

well i have downloaded the dvd image so i will try that as it should have a live option

Comment

ok i done the clean install now i seem to have major issues with Adept it just don't find everything like skype for instance tho the apt-get install skype works fine also if i search for codecs nothing i had to install VLC instead to get my media working even amarok took 4 attempts for it to install the mp3 codec lol what is up with the adept in this its a joke.

any help guys because im thinking kde 4 is still to buggy and Gnome might be the way to go.

also ark don't recognize and rar or zip files and according to adept there is no unrar or similar program (had to install peazip

Comment

I'm not sure if skype is in the regular repositories.
                In Adept, click on the Sources button and make sure on the third party tab that both of the Intrepid partner boxes are checked. (you don't need the CD one)
                you can also add the medibuntu repos by opening Konsole and type..
                sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

then...
                sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

if you are still having trouble with Adept working right... in Konsole try sudo dpkg --configure -a

for a basic set-up tutorial... check here http://howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-8.10
                &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

yeah i already done them commands but that nice long apt-get command on that web site you gave me is nice i will take the bits out i all ready have and hope for the best

Comment

well have now edited that nice long command syntax and and just finishing the install will let you know how it goes....anyone know the release date on the bug fixed Adept and kde 4.2

Comment

Working...
                    X