This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: No Sound After Major Update

Downloaded and installed a large update a few days ago. Since then I have no sound. The Kmix icon on the task bar has a cross in a red circle on it. How do I get my sound back?

Re: No Sound After Major Update

geecee,

Try this first, goto K menu > system settings > sound system

check under the hardware tab...

is "select the audio device" set for autodetect?

you might even hit the "default" button in lower left and
    then go back to general tab and hit the "test" button, bottom-middle

if no sound ... post back

God Bless
    Doug

Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

Thanks for the reply Doug. Set to Autodetect. Hit default button, then "Apply". Still no sound.

Comment

Another possibility:

open kmix - a little loudspeaker should show up in the taskbar. Right click on it select "Select Master Channel". Make sure "pcm" is selected. Also show the mixer window and ensure that no crucial channel is muted.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for replying. The loudspeaker icon has a white cross in a red circle on it. When I mouse over the icon I get a message "Mixer cannot be found". I cannot bring up the usual volume controls.

Have tried reinstalling Kmix and the Linux kernel. Still then same.

Comment

Ah, so a more profound problem. Let's find out what multimedia controller you have. Please post the output of
            Code:
            lspci
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
              00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
              00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
              00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
              00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
              00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
              00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
              00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
              00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
              00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
              00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
              00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
              00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
              00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
              00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
              00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
              00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
              02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
              05:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
              05:02.2 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD Controller (rev 01)
              05:02.3 Mass storage controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MS/xD Controller (rev 01)
              05:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection (rev 02)

BTW. It DID work prior the update!

Comment

Originally posted by geecee
                00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
                BTW. It DID work prior the update!
                Okay, that is your audio device. You may want to google it or check the kubuntu and ubuntu forums for it.

And which update was that? New kernel?

Comment

Thanks. Not sure if it was a new kernel but there was quite a large automatic update nearly a week ago.

Comment

Try to boot the older kernel and see whether sound works. If so, continue to use the older kernel

Quick instructions:

After the BIOS press ESC to call up the Grub screen. I am assuming that you are on Kubuntu 8.04, which is running on the latest 2.6.24-21-generic kernel. Select the 2.6.24.19-generic from the list and press enter to boot.

Report back if anything is unclear and let us know how you fared...

Comment

Thanks pal. The kernel I had was kernel 2.6.24-21-generic. I am now booting from kernel 2.6.24-19-generic. Don't know where 2.6.24-20-generic went to.
                      Anyway, I'm not sure I should really call it "fixed" but it's a step in the righ direction.
                      Thanks very much.
                      Graham

Comment

Glad to hear that it is working again.

To make this change permanent you will need to adjust your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (which can only be done as root). Near the top is a line that says "default 0". You need to change the 0 to whatever number the kernel is you are booting now. I assume it is 2, since we start counting at 0. To check you can scroll down that file where the bootable kernels are listed.

Save your changes and you will be booting the new kernel automatically.

Comment

Working...
                        X