This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Administrator mode

I am trying to use the administrator mode to make changes to my network;however, when I try to use the admin mode, I get the message:"The specified library knetworkconfmodule could not be found". Then it goes on to say:"Library files for kcm_knetworkconfmodule.la not found in paths".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: No Administrator mode

Are you using 8.10?

In any case, try whatever you are attempting to do on the command line using sudo. If you don't know the commands simply explain what you want to do and wel'll do the explaining
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I am trying to set up a wireless network. I have a desktop computer with linux and a laptop with XP. I can get everything to work, but I don't know how to set up the security/encryption for the wireless. I thought that the Knetwork manager would do that, but the admin mode for that, or anything won't work.
      I don't know enough about the command lines to figure that out.

Comment

Hm, correct me if I'm wrong, but afaik you have to set up security for wireless on the machine sending the signal, i.e. the router. Computers, be it a desktop or a laptop, is the receiver and as such you shouldn't mess around with the admin mode.

Or did I get the wrong end of the stick here
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

The desktop is running linux and is connected to both the cable modem and the wireless router. The laptop is running XP and is not connected to the router. I can get the router and modem to work, but I end up with an open authentication network. I want to set the security settings, but have to do them through the desktop (w/ linux)

btw I am running 8.04

Comment

You will need to access your wireless router. The ip address varies depending on make and model, but you can start off with 192.168.1.1 - copy that in your browser and with any luck you will get access to your router...

Or hang on, you say you have a straight modem which goes into the linux box, then a cable from the linux box to your wireless router, which is NOT directly connected to the internet. Correct so far?

In that case I would change the topic name of the first post to something like "setting up a proxy" to get more people onto your case

Comment

I've had this same problem - you can fix it by going into a terminal (default is called Konsole on Kubuntu, under K->System->Konsole Terminal Program), typing

sudo apt-get install knetworkconf

I'd recommend getting wireless set up through KNetworkManager rather than command line, because it'll give you info like signal strength and will save you having to dig through terminals if your wireless ever goes out.

Comment

fatzcatz, pay particular attention to this part of toad's answer:

Originally posted by toad
                Or hang on, you say you have a straight modem which goes into the linux box, then a cable from the linux box to your wireless router, which is NOT directly connected to the internet. Correct so far?
                The configuration you mention fatzcatz, isn't a common one and toad's trying to determine exactly what you want. You say the Windows computer isn't connected to to the router?
                Toad has also correctly told you that the router is what you need to configure for the wireless security you want to use. He also noted that the administration page for routers is router specific, and usually mentioned in the router documentation that came with it. It will also suggest that you configure the router with a wired connection and I think that is what you have if I understand your post correctly.

Toad also mentioned that you post subject is somewhat misleading, it was for me too. Your question is not really about admin mode (which tends to make many of us think about sudo or a button somewhere in KDE configuration), it's about router configuration. No matter, we will eventually sort this out.

Comment

Working...
                X