This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel stupid

Okay I want to get a new video card but someone suggested that the video card that I get depends on my CPU. So here is my question how do I check what my CPU is in Kubuntu 8.04, and if possible could someone go step by step for me.

Thanks

Lordtitan

Re: I feel stupid

'One way' is to use the lshw command, assuming it is installed.

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --simulate lshw
    If the program is already installed you will get back the response "lshw is already the newest version." If it isn't installed, you can issue the command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lshw
    Once installed, and from the console, type:
    Code:
    sudo lshw | grep CPU
    After you provide your password, you'll get a listing similar to this:
    description: CPU
    product: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2060 @ 1.60GHz
    description: Logical CPU
    Your CPU will be identified. Mine is a "Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2060 @ 1.60GHz"
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm probably doing something wrong but I have been following your list of commands and nothing shows up, any ideas?

Comment

Do you have the program lshw installed? You can 'copy and paste' the commands I listed. That will ensure you aren't typing something incorrectly.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Unless I am mistaken the command sudo lshw | grep CPU spurts out one line only. There may be a way of telling bash to spurt out more but I don't know it unfortunately. afaik there is no other way round to simply
          Code:
          lshw
          or
          Code:
          sudo lshw
          followed by scrolling up the output all the way to CPU.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

If you're only interested in the CPU, I believe you can
            Code:
            cat /proc/cpuinfo
            and get it that way, too, in detail.

Comment

dibl, the man! Of course - thank you for pointing it out. Would you also per chance know how increase the number of lines of output after a grep command?

BTW, just noticed a news flash from the BBC re some very untoadly behaviour of a certain vice presidential candidate. It's all fun and games across the pond...
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad

re some very untoadly behaviour of a certain vice presidential candidate. It's all fun and games across the pond...
                Yep, we have a lot of fun with this election stuff -- one would think the President of the USA actually has the authority to do something (other than invade other countries). But we know better ...

OK the famous grep option ... well, it's not my strong suit. "man grep" includes the following:

Code:
                General Output Control
                   -c, --count
                       Suppress normal output; instead print a count of matching lines
                       for each input file. With the -v, --invert-match option (see
                       below), count non-matching lines. (-c is specified by POSIX.)

-m NUM, --max-count=NUM
                       Stop reading a file after NUM matching lines. If the input is
                       standard input from a regular file, and NUM matching lines are
                       output, grep ensures that the standard input is positioned to
                       just after the last matching line before exiting, regardless of
                       the presence of trailing context lines. This enables a calling
                       process to resume a search. When grep stops after NUM matching
                       lines, it outputs any trailing context lines. When the -c or
                       --count option is also used, grep does not output a count
                       greater than NUM. When the -v or --invert-match option is also
                       used, grep stops after outputting NUM non-matching lines.

Is that what you were thinking of?

Comment

Found it:

Context Line Control
                  -A NUM, --after-context=NUM
                  Print NUM lines of trailing context after matching lines. Places a line containing
                  a group separator (--) between contiguous groups of matches. With the -o or
                  --only-matching option, this has no effect and a warning is given.
                  Now I can do that
                  sudo lshw|grep -A 11 CPU
                  description: CPU
                  product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
                  vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
                  physical id: 4
                  bus info: cpu@0
                  version: 6.10.0
                  slot: Socket-A
                  size: 1917MHz
                  capacity: 3GHz
                  width: 32 bits
                  clock: 166MHz
                  capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
                  Cool 8)

Comment

Very nicely done, toad!

Comment

Well, your post got me going again after I stupidly and fruitlessly went through the ls man page :-X

Comment

Working...
                      X