This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem installing IE in wine

I am trying to install IE6 in wine. In download I choose to open with wine and get following:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on the system. Setup cannot continue.

No IE is installed under wine, I deleted IE on VirtulaBox, and can see no other. What can I do? Thanks.

Re: Problem installing IE in wine

There is an alternative that doesn't use wine:

It's called IEs4linux
    http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Your mileage may vary. Me, I couldn't get flash working and my primary reason for trying it, activex and windows media player didn't work either.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
      There is an alternative that doesn't use wine:
      Actually, that's not true - IEs4Linux does use Wine but it handles the configuration for you. It's definitely the way to go for IE on Linux, though... oh, the pain that web developers have to endure!

Comment

Although it doesn't seem to integrate properly in the registry because Quicken can't call it.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but why on earth would any sane creature on this planet want to install Indecent Exposure?

If there are websites which do not function with firefox I would be interested in them!

Thanks.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

This may come as a big shock, but actually I've installed IE 6, IE 7 and I'm going to install IE 8 if it's out of beta. (And Google Chrome and Safari. And Opera.)
            If you built sites, you just have to install that rubbish Microsoft calls a browser, to work around the zillions of bugs in those horrible creatures. So I think that's a pretty good reason to install IE

Comment

My hat is off to you
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

You don't need IE, take a look at:

http://browsershots.org/

It will open your web page in all of the popular browsers and you can see a screenshot of what your page looks like in any browser.

Comment

Some sites use Active X which renders them linux hostile rather than firefox hostile per se.

Comment

yea its there after you install ie4linux, however anything that "depends" on it will not work because it will still see the dependency as not met, i have the same problem using quickbooks w/ wine,

a work around might be to manually assign the needed dll files for quicken in the wine config, and of course you can use the dlls that come w/ ie4linux.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

browsershots.org is a very handy site, but it's useless if you really built sites. It takes a very long time, sometimes more as an hour, before you see the shots. One page at a time... That's nice if you want to put some photos on line. But a professional, usable, accessible site has to be tested with/without JavaScript, different resolutions, different font-size, different zooming, etc.
                      It really depends on what you need IE for. Some banking sites still only work with IE (in the Netherlands, bit of Microsoft territory here, I'm afraid). For this kind of things IE on Wine can be very handy.

Comment

I admit browsershots doen't really help much for a real web site developer, but for someone with a simple web page, it helps.

I had one of those banks that required you to use IE. I changed banks.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                          Pardon my ignorance, but why on earth would any sane creature on this planet want to install Indecent Exposure?

If there are websites which do not function with firefox I would be interested in them!

Thanks.

Well Real doesn't work with FF... and that stinks for me because I really like their FLV recorder...... and Netflix's watch instantly doesn't work with FF either....

Comment

Thank you, cpthron!

What is Real though? Real.com takes me to realplayer which works fine

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                              Thank you, cpthron!

What is Real though? Real.com takes me to realplayer which works fine
                              Does it really? I know that I can't use the FLV downloader with firefox..... unless they made a patch that I don't about... But I I know I can't use it on FF.

Comment

Working...
                              X