This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 4 desktops

Right now I have 3 applications open on desktop1. #1 Is there a way I can move one of them to desktop 2, #2 and then when on desktop2, NOT see the stuff on desktop1 in the taskbar?

Thanks so much!

Re: the 4 desktops

In kde3.5.9/10
    rightclick on the taskbar and choose configure panel (or something mine is in german) choosetaskbar then deaktivate show windows for all desktops

KDE4.1 ricghtclick on taskbar->configure taskbar and choose do not show windows from all desktops
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by nixie21
      #1 Is there a way I can move one of them to desktop 2,
      Here are a few ways:

in kde 3.x:

1. Drag&Drop windows in the virtual desktop applet in the panel.
      2. Right-click on titlebar and choose 'to desktop' in the menu.
      3. You can set keyboard shortcuts in kcontrol/systemsettings.
      4. You can set active desktop borders in kcontrol/systemsettings which allows you to move windows between desktops by dragging a window to the screen edges.
      5. You can set mouse scroll on window titlebar to move windows to previous/next desktop in kcontrol/systemsettings.
      (most of these settings are also accessible by right-clicking on window titlebar and choosing 'configure window behavior')

Don't have kde4 on this machine, so can't tell whether all these options are available on kde4

Comment

Thanks...I see my problem as I am using compiz. So the pager shows 4 desktops, but it is really one as compiz uses viewpoints! Wish I could use the suggestions above without losing compiz!

thanks again!

Comment

Depending on exactly what effects you are using you probably could lose compiz and still keep most of your effects using kwin.

Comment

How do I use kwin? with compiz, I have the cube, and I like effects when opening, closing,.... a window.

Comment

Kwin->desktop effects is much faster with my poor old ati 9250 card and default driver than compiz ever was and has basically the same effects.

It is not quite as "snazzy" as compiz but in contrast made for kde and learning very quickly.

Turn off compiz give your pager as many dasktops as you wsh (you can do this later on the fly as well).
              Go to system settings->destop->apply effects and play with the settings.

Edit:
              In the nightly version (kde4.2 preview) I have cubes, spheres and tubes
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

thanks,

I do not have kde4, is this ok?

Comment

Originally posted by nixie21
                  Thanks...I see my problem as I am using compiz. So the pager shows 4 desktops, but it is really one as compiz uses viewpoints! Wish I could use the suggestions above without losing compiz!
                  If you wish to keep using compiz, you can take a look at this thread:
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3096561.0

Installing kicker-compiz package and using it's pager applet instead of the 'normal' kicker pager applet should get rid of the desktop/viewport issue. Of course kwin's way of moving windows to different desktops won't work with compiz (which likely has it's own ways to do it)

Comment

Working...
                  X