X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me - Knotes migration to new laptop

Hi 13 July08
    I want to get all my current Knotes over to my new laptop - Is there an easier way than to cut and paste every single note? I cannot find the ?hiding? place of my notes on the old PC so as to copy in a bunch
    Rusty

Re: Help me - Knotes migration to new laptop

~/.kde/share/apps/knotes
    This is the 'hidden' folder containing the 'notes' folder and the 'notes.ics' file.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog,
      I've now found the notes - problem is that Knotes in HH does not recognise the new notes which I have added to the HH Knotes folder - any ideas here?
      rusty

Comment

WARNING!! BEFORE MAKING CHANGES ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE A BACKUP. WARNING!!

Okay, now that I've gotten the "don't say I didn't warn you" stuff out of the way.

The file notes.ics contains the 'pointers' to the individual notes in the ~/.kde/share/apps/knotes/notes folder. What you can do is to copy part of the 'old' .ics file and paste it into the 'new' file. Make a backup copy of the new notes.ics file first.

In the 'new' notes.ics file, you want to copy from the 'old' notes.ics file, everthing from the first line that begins BEGIN:VJOURNAL through and including the last line that begins END:VJOURNAL Return to the 'new' notes.ics file (should still be open for editing) and cursor all the way the the last line, which should read END:VCALENDAR Put your cursor at the beginning of this line and then paste the copied contents from the 'old' notes.ics file that you copied. That done, go to the very end of the file. If END:VCALENDAR isn't on a line by itself, make sure it is, to include a blank line above it. You want the last three lines of the file to look like this:
        END:VJOURNAL

END:VCALENDAR
        Save and close the file.

Now you just need to copy the contents of the 'old' ~/.kde/share/apps/knotes/notes folder into the new one. Restart KDE (Ctrl+Alt+BkSp) and once you are logged back in, your KNotes should now contain both your new and your old notes.

If you make a mistake, or this procedure doesn't work (unlikely) then all you have to do is delete the current notes.ics file and rename the backup to notes.ics and you are back to what you had before.

Comment

Hi Snowhog, wednesday 16 Jul08
          thanx again, I have now just finished the copying process along the lines you mentioned, and it worked 1st time fine.
          I appreciate your detailed help.

Rusty
          Pretoria South Africa

Comment

Hello Snowhog,

I followed the instructions on your post when migrating my KNotes from 8.04 to 10.04 and it worked great!

Will the same procedure also work going from 10.04 to 12.04 (using default KDE on both)?

Comment

It should.

Comment

Working...
              X