This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Flash

I am currently running Kubuntu 8.04 and using Firefox 3.0. I have searched adept and haven't found it, and firefox says it can't be installed. I found something like adbobeflash_notfree or something but I can't figure out how it works.

Re: Adobe Flash

Open Kmenu>System>Adept Manager, scroll down to the package flashplugin-nonfree and mark it for installation. Then click "Apply" on the top menu and it will be installed.

That only handles Adobe flash, however -- if you want other medial players to run in Firefox, you might want to install gecko or gnash, etc.

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

You might want to consider installing the package kubuntu-restricted-extras, which includes Java (icedtea), Windows Media codecs, MP3 support and DVD support. It works pretty good for me, but not all Windows Media files can be displayed, though. VLC is an excellent program too, which supports many file formats (including Windows Media Video 9, I believe). I don't know how to set up vlc with Firefox, though.

Comment

I dl'ed and installed flashplugin-nonfree or whatever and installed it but I still don't have flash. Is there a second step?

Comment

Perhaps flash pages are being blocked. Do you have NoScript installed? Is there a S in the bottom right corner of your firefox?
            If so, you have to allow flash for being run or simply allow the site as a whole.

Another program that does that is flashblock. What happens is flash support for Linux is definitely poor, but that is because of Adobe do not want to make an effort in that direction.
            As flash is not open source, there are no developers for flash in Linux, so no options besides Adobe.

My two cents...

Comment

Working...
            X