X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia driver problems after restart black screen after flicker

Hi

I am a straight newbie first day so I think I'm in the right group. I just installed a dual boot with Vista using Kubuntu 8.04.

I tried installing the nvidia drivers from the adept update manager selecting the envy package, I have an 8800GTS. It went through the install process and it seemed like everything completed successfully. I then went into the Device driver section and enabled the Nvidia driver. The system then downloaded some more things and installed something automatically.

I saw a prompt to restart my computer so I did so. Now on booting the Kubuntu Loading screen comes up and when the loading bar goes full the screen has a slight flicker and then just black screen.

Is there a way I can boot in recovery mode and disable the Nvidia driver from the console so that I can load Kunbuntu again?

Re: Nvidia driver problems after restart black screen after flicker

If you follow the instructions here they should help... "How to get started with no GUI" http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

(It should knock out Nvidia)

Or you can try booting into recovery mode and choose Repair X Server (or something like that)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Nvidia driver problems after restart black screen after flicker

Originally posted by Hamish32

I then went into the Device driver section and enabled the Nvidia driver.
      This is where you went wrong -- leave that "Device Manager" closed!

OK, now that it's borked, I'd say do this:

1. Exit the GUI with Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in to the console, and shut down the X server with
      Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
      (or kdm-kde4 stop if you're running KDE4).

Code:
      sudo envyng -t
      and choose first "Uninstall" and let it take care of that routine, and then "Install the Driver"

3. If it appears to install correctly, exit Envy and
      Code:
      sudo shutdown now -r
      to shut down and restart the system.

4. When you log back in, the GUI login should be preceded by the green and black Nvidia splash. Once logged in, leave the Device Manager closed.

5. On multiple threads on this forum are instructions for setting it up to run GLX and Compiz -- but if you can't find it, post back and we'll help.

Comment

Working...
      X