X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade KDE 3.5.9 to KDE 4.1

Hi All,

I am very new to Linux and installed Kubuntu 8.04 hardy heron on my Dell laptop. Everything went fine. It has KDE 3.5.9, however I would like to upgrade to KDE 4.1

Before going ahead, I see kde4 folder already present in the /usr/lib. It has many files and subfolders like bin, etc, lib, share.

Can anyone tell me-
    1. Will it create any issues with having different KDE folders, I am not sure how i got kde4? When i install KDE 4.1, will I get a new folder as kde4.1?
    2. I have configured, mails and have downloaded songs. Will installing the new KDE mess up th current set-up?
    3. Do I need to compile packages etc to make KDE 4.1 work? If yes where can i get the steps to compile the packages etc.

Thanks for your help!!!

Re: Upgrade KDE 3.5.9 to KDE 4.1

First you will have to wait until 4.1 comes out in - well, that is anybody's guess. Let's say a few months.

All other questions should get sorted then, too, 'cos you won't be the only one
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

If you have a setup and functioning KDE 3.5.9, I'd strongly suggest that you stay with it and wait until KDE 4.1 is officially released (in July?).

KDE 4.1 is currently out as beta, and it still has 'bugs' in it - I know, as I upgraded my KDE 4.0.5 to 4.1 this evening. It definitely has real potential, and I, like others here, look forward to the official release, hoping it will be stable and most of the bugs worked out.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What, really Already? I know I've been behind the times recently, but this is great news! Can't wait for it to come...

Thank you for the info.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

If you just can't wait, and don't mind 'playing on the edge' then you can upgrade to KDE 4.1 beta by following the simple instructions here.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

kde 4.1 will replace your kde3.5.9 DT and as snowhogs ponts out it is still in beta and has a few quirks. Like ark not working correctly etc.

For more on kde 4.....1 an some peoples experiences:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095130.0

You can of course always install kde4.0.5 next to your kde 3.5.9 and cjoose it at login with the sessions button. It is not kde4.1 but it will give a good idea of what is coming in kde4 and still keep your trusty kde3

http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.5.php

Enjoy
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Standard warnings (alpha, beta, rc)
              This is an alpha/beta/rc (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of programs are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of programs ARE recommended for developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs (or are just curious).

More of the KDE 4.1 > KDE4.1 Release Schedule

There should be Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex Alpha 1, tomorrow (June 12th). Interpid should have KDE 4 by default, More > Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you all toad, snowhog, fintan and rog131. If its a wait till July, I would prefer to wait. There are already many things to understand if one is new to Linux as in my case, I used Windows for the past 12 yrs. Things are pretty different here & I need to get used to the basic stuff etc.

Thanks for your replies.

Comment

KDE 4 is really coming along. But I would recommend waiting until the official 4.1 release if you're looking for something more stable.

Comment

Working...
                  X