X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual booting options

Hello,

When I first installed Kubuntu 8.04 remix with KDE 4, and was booting I had 3 options to choose. Windows, Safe mode Ubuntu and Ubuntu. However, after these 3-4 days. I have like 7-8 or options. These three that I mentioned. And again Ubuntu, like 4-5 options for it. All completly same.. but with different numbers.

I think what it is, is that sessions are not being cleared out. Like when I turn off the computer, it doesn't disapear. I am getting a bit worried about this. Cause in few days there will be like 100 options to choose which OS I wanna use

Re: Dual booting options

Are you referring to your kernel selection menu (GRUB) that looks like this (from my /boot/grub/menu.lst)?
    Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-18-generic

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-18-generic (recovery mode)

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-17-generic

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-17-generic (recovery mode)

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-15-generic

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-15-generic (recovery mode)

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-12-generic

Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-12-generic (recovery mode)

Ubuntu 8.04, memtest86+
    If 'yes,' then you don't have a problem. These are all the installed kernel versions (-12, -15 -16, -17, and -18) on the system. As kernel updates are released, and you opt to install them, they get added to the listing.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This old chestnut again

You will occasionally get updates of Linux. They will stay on your boot list unless YOU remove them. Hardy has been 16, 17 and 18. If you have Synaptic do a search of linux-image. You can safely remove 16 and 17 - but leave 18! It will take out a few more files but they are harmless. 16 and 17 will disappear from your boot list, leaving 18.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

It remains a good idea however, to keep at least the 'previous' kernel still installed. That way, should you realize that the current kernel is/starts to give you trouble, you have the previous kernel to fall back to.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

... and if the cowboy in you starts comin' out, let 'er rip with this:

Rog131, removing GRUB entries
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082556.0
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yes, thats exactly what I was refering to. I do not ming them.. I was just scared that each time I turn off Linux, one new will stay

But if its only when new kernel comes out, then I am totally fine with it. And will not change anything (yet :P)

Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

Working...
            X