This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem booting Kubuntu 7.10 live disk

I just deleted win2000 from my wife's computer preparatory to installing Gutsy. Boot sequence is set to boot first from CD. With Gutsy disk in CD drive, I boot and get following:

Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key

Pressing Enter just brings this message up again. Parted Magic boots fine. What do I do?

Re: Problem booting Kubuntu 7.10 live disk

I suspect the disk is bad. Did you check the md5sum when you downloaded? If that's OK I suggest reburning at a slower speed and verify the burn. Do you have another computer you can try the disk in?

Comment

Have used it many times on my computer and just tried it again to make sure and boots just fine. Any other ideas?

Comment

Agree with Detonate -- perhaps your CD got damaged or something (assuming BIOS works OK, as you've said it does). Burn a new one and try it.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qmike:
          As I said, I just tried the disk in my computer and it boots fine, but not in my wife's computer, although Parted Magic boots fine on her computer. So some problem with this specific disk on a specific computer (hers). Mystery.

Comment

Do you get any messages when booting her computer? I have to ask this as well, is it a CD or DVD? It could also be that the computer optical drive can't read CD-Rs and/or CD-RWs. Do you know the model of optical drive she has?

Comment

I think you may have the problem solved. I burned it on a DVD disk but my wifes drive probably cant read DVD's!

Comment

Hope that's it. I haven't seen a disk that works on one and not the other, unless it is a format compatibility issue. Let us know.

Comment

I burned a CD and it booted on my wife's computer. Unfortunately there were errors on disk and I am going to have to burn again. How do I check the md5sum of downloaded iso?

Comment

Open konsole.
                    Change directory to the directory the iso is in. Type
                    md5sum (name of file) at the CLI prompt. Compare the result with the md5sum posted in the download section of the Kubuntu download site. They should match exactly.

Comment

Or, if you're using *buntu and K3b, open the ISO with K3b and it will automatically run the md5sum calculation and show it.

Comment

To finish conversation with moonrise: yes, the problem was that I burned on a DVD and my wife's drive could only read CD's.

Comment

Make sure that the CDs you get are of relatively good quality. Quite a few here have had problems due to media quality of CDs. Also burn as low a rate as your system will allow.

Comment

That reminds me of a problem I have every so often. The CD drive might be bad. Sometimes they won't be able to read a particular part of the CD due to phsyical damage to the drive. Sometimes, too, it may be the CD drive is an older drive and may have a tough time reading the newer CDs. Try your wife's CD drive with another CD, or see if you can find a CD or software that will perform a diagnostic read test.

Originally posted by ahurd
                            Qmike:
                            As I said, I just tried the disk in my computer and it boots fine, but not in my wife's computer, although Parted Magic boots fine on her computer. So some problem with this specific disk on a specific computer (hers). Mystery.

Comment

Working...
                            X