This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video drivers

I have a nvidia geforce 6800 gt video card, and would greatly appreciate if some one can help me install this on my latest version of kubuntu p.c. and where could i find the drivers? I went to the nvidia site and downloaded the linux version 32 bit is this correct?

Please help. I dont want to go back to windows!!!

Thanks

Re: video drivers

Kubuntu should inform you about the availability of restricted drivers and you can click to install them.

Alternatively, make sure you have the universe repository enabled and install envyng. Its straight forward.

Comment

forgive me stealthbanana but i don't know where to go to enable this setting, and where do i go to download envying.

Sorry I am a complete newbie to linux. Hoping to one day be able to answer questions for others.

Comment

Hang in there, sirron -- the more new folks pick up Linux, the more new instructors are needed!

Search is your friend:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Every factoid may not be the latest -- pay attention to the information on Alberto's site.

Comment

Thank you sooo much for both your help. I know newbies can be a pain in the rear, but i really want to learn.

dibl
          I followed your instructions and downloaded the envy file, but when i right clicked the file i didn't get the "Kubuntu Package Manager > Install". I am running kubuntu 8.04 in case you needed to know.

by the way your tuturial on this subject was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by sirron

when i right clicked the file i didn't get the "Kubuntu Package Manager > Install". I am running kubuntu 8.04 in case you needed to know.
            Thanks!

OK, are you running KDE4? Try opening Dolphin and browse to your Desktop where the downloaded Envy file is, and right-click it there. It should say something like "Open with > Gdebi installer".

Comment

I installed the envy file to the desktop. Then opened up dolphin, browsed to desktop but it doesn't show up on dolphin, but i do see it on the desktop.

I originally downloaded envy to a flash drive then I cut and pasted the file to my kubuntu p.c. would that have something to do with it?

Thanks.

Comment

Another approach is just using the packages from the repositories. That didn't work for me in 7.10, so then I took the envy approach. On 8.04 I started with trying envy, but that didn't work right away.
                Without any problem I installed the nvidia driver using adept.
                According to http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_169.12.html, your videocard is supported by version 169.12. That equates to the package nvidia-glx-new. That was the package I installed as well.

I suggest to als install nvidia-settings
                Kubuntu 9.10<br />

Comment

I've copied the nvidia driver to the desktop, but i am still confronted with the same issue how do i load the driver. I have tried using dolphin but it doesn't see anything on the desktop, and when i Rt click run i get a search bar. I've tried double clicking the icon but nothing happens.

Could you please instruct a dense person on how to use adept!!
                  Sorry.

Comment

sorry if the question is stupid, but you triied just to do:

k -> System -> "hardware drivers manager "

and enable the nvidia proprietary driver?

Note: very likely you must be connected over internet because kubuntu need to download and install some packages ( kernel source if i remember well).

Comment

Envy is in Hardy repositories. Open Adept Manager, search for envyng-qt and install it.

It should then appear in K => Applications => System EnvyNG.
                      The Nomad&#39;s Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

I think there are serious limitations (differences?) on the KDE4 desktop...I've given up trying to save anything there for now...try moving the files to you home folder, and install from there.
                        mm0
                        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
                        X