X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I install windows drivers?

Ok, this is a bit odd.

I installed Kubuntu 8.04 Alternate on this box yesterday. (Homebuilt from spare parts: Biostar P4 compatible MoBo with Celeron chip, think it's a 1.4ghz, 512MB of RAM)

When I did the install, I used a funky old 17" VGA monitor propped up on 2x4s that I have setup as a second workstation next to my primary machine (I fix Win machines for a living). Everything worked great, even the ancient wireless-b card is up and running. I set the screen resolution to 1024x768, tweaked a few more things to my specs (autologin and whatnot) and shut down the box. Then I moved it to its new home in the living room, where I want it to run as an internet access box for the whole family. So far, so good.

This morning I boot up the box only to find that I'm stuck with 640x480 screen resolution. System Settings -> Monitor and Display won't give me any higher resolution. So I start to Google while ripping clumps of hair out, and wind up editing Xorg.conf as follows: I change this:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname "Plug 'n' Play"
    Modelname "Plug 'n' Play"
    modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 640 480
    Modes "640x480@60"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    to this:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname "Plug 'n' Play"
    Modelname "Plug 'n' Play"
    modeline "1280x1024@80" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1280 1024
    Modes "1280x1024@80"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    ...and restart the machine. Presto! I can go into System Settings -> Monitor and Display and change the settings to 1024x768, and it works! Happy clam, that's me.

Until I shut down and restart.

And I'm back where I started. Even weirder, xorg.conf shows no sign of my edits. It's back to 640x480@60. I've tried a bunch of alternate settings, but no dice. It's like I've entered a parallel universe where I am stuck in an endless loop, shoving the Resolution Rock up the hill forever alongside Sysiphus.

So here's what I'm thinking: It's got to be the monitor. Windows Upgrade has tried to install drivers for this particular monitor on other boxes, so i went searching for Linux drivers. Of course i didn't find any, but I *did* manage to download a couple windows drivers, one .zip file and one .exe file.

So now all I need to know is: What the heck do I do with these files on a Linux machine?

Did I mention that I'm having a lot of fun? 8)

Re: How do I install windows drivers?

sorry windows drivers won't work on a linux machine you'll need linux specific drivers (if any), however there is no need to install anything as X handles all the drawing, etc..

in terminal run the following:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and follow the directions and u can try using the defaults.

also do u use a Nvidia Graphics card if not then what is your graphics card?

if so ubuntu should ask you to install the proprietary driver from the repos.

Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

That did the trick, shining! Thanks.

Note to other N00BZ: When navigating Terminal-based programs, make sure you're not automatically using Windows or DOS keyboard shortcuts. Some of them work (ctrl-c, ctrl-x, ctrl-v - yippee!) but others don't. I got stuck for a while due to MStupidity.

*smacks self in forehead*

Wow! I could've had a Kubuntu-8!

Comment

Originally posted by Davka
        That did the trick, shining! Thanks.

Note to other N00BZ: When navigating Terminal-based programs, make sure you're not automatically using Windows or DOS keyboard shortcuts. Some of them work (ctrl-c, ctrl-x, ctrl-v - yippee!) but others don't. I got stuck for a while due to MStupidity.

*smacks self in forehead*

Wow! I could've had a Kubuntu-8!
        ur welcome and lolz yeah ctrl+c is to stop the current process.

u'll just have to get used to the new shortcuts or so. or even change them.
        Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Linux keyboard shortcuts.

http://blog.i64.pl/PiosBlog/200610/2...ld-know-about/

Comment

Working...
          X