This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual monitors, 2nd hard drive - 7.10 kubuntu

hello i am brand new to linux and i have a few questions.

i have 2 hard drive in my computer, i wiped out my primary drive totally and did a clean install from the liveCD. now in the dolphin it shows me both my hard drives, but when i click on the secondary drive i get this error with a red X at the bottom - "hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused uid 1000". can someone please tell me what this means and how i can access my files on that drive?

i also have 2 video cards in my computer. how can i get the dual monitors working? thanks guys!
    kubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon - n00ber!

Re: dual monitors, 2nd hard drive - 7.10 kubuntu

hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused uid 1000

That's a string you can search on here as it has been a well-known issue with lots of discussion.

I usually go to
    K > System Settings
    Advanced
    Disks & Filesystems
    Administrator Mode
    right-click on the partition of interest
    Modify
    select a mount point (e.g., to mount drive sdb, you might make up /media/sdb for a mount point)
    Click so anyone can do anything at any time.
    Click so it is Writeable
    OK
    Back out – click on the partition again – Enable it (a button at the bottom)
    File > Quit and exit out
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

got it working, thank you!

does anyone know how to get dual monitors working?
      kubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon - n00ber!

Comment

Great on the hard drive part!

Now, where's some Dual Monitor Guys?

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What kind of video card do you have? In my laptop I have NVidia and it was a snap just open up a console and run nvidia-settings. For ATI it was a little more complex. For both cards make sure that you have the restricted drivers installed K > System > Hardware Manager
          But in my desktop I have a dual head Radeon X1600, so for ATI go to their http://www.ait.com and download the driver package. Unpack the files somewhere and then go into a konsole and cd into the directory where you put the files. Then just sh the installer. DO NOT INSTALL THE DRIVERS FROM THIS PACKAGE the only thing that you want to install is the Catalyst Control Center. After install reboot your box (thats what I had to do) and under your K menu you should have the shortcut for it.
          After you configure either with NVidia or with ATI do a CTRL + ALT + Backspace to restart X and you should be good to go. It's a lot easier now then say 8 months ago when I gave Ubunto a run.
          Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

Working...
          X