X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Need

Hi

I have Kbuntu, but I am using Windows Xp and because of that - all my important programmes are on windows. I have seen 'Wine' app on live C.D.
    So my question is when I install Kbuntu with 'Wine' unto my computer will I be able to install most of my window programs ?

Thanks

Re: Help Need

I'm afraid it's not possible.

Some will work, most won't.
    There is a lot of information at http://www.winehq.org/ including lists of Windows software that will work.

But then you can likely find a Linux native replacement for just about anything existing on Windows.

So get you're head around the idea that Windows is not at all the only or the best way to do thing with a computer. 8)

Oh and by the way, it'll attract a lot more knowledgeable people when you include a hint to your problem in the subject line...

Comment

You could keep Windows XP and use Linux on a Virtual Machine. Or install Linux on Windows XP as an app using Wubi.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

what apps do you need?

Comment

That depends on you, what windows apps do you use and which ones do yu want to find replacements for

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
            Or install Linux on Windows XP as an app using Wubi.
            Does Wubi work for this purpose? Admittedly I've never used wubi (kind of difficult to do so when you no longer have windows :P ) but I was under the impression that it was just a windows application that allowed you to install k/ubuntu from inside windows (avoiding need for a livecd) and also cleverly voiding the need to partition your hd. I didn't think it allowed you to run linux as an app in windows (thats more like what kde for windows is about).

Comment

You could keep Windows XP and use Linux on a Virtual Machine. Or install Linux on Windows XP as an app using Wubi.
              I don't know why any one would want to do that. One of the reasons I use linux is because of all those anti-everything apps. That would defeat the purpose completely.

Install linux and stick your xp on a virtual machine. Basta. I run all my adobe stuff (PS C3, Flash C3, Dreamweaver C3) on a virtual xp just as fast and more stable that on a HD install with no anti-everything BS.

And yes it would help to help if we knew which apps are needed
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X