This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking system stability

After doing a routine package get updates I installed KDE4 however lots of the packages were all saying broken so I told it to uninstall them (I noticed the system had automatically uninstalled KDE4. Is there any software I can run to double check the current system is stable before powering down. I'd hate to find that it was unstable and wouldn't run so I had to reinstall it all from a live CD.

Thanks
    Susan
    Kubuntu 7.10<br />Desperate for KDE4

Re: Checking system stability

Yeah, I hear you. Linux is not nearly as stable and reliable as the linux faithful make it out to be.

Comment

@ jacatone:

Neither is windblows , or ANY OS for that matter

@ susanpenter:
      Can't give you an exacte solution to the problem you have right now, but I can give you something to prevent it in the future.

a) Keep a virtual machine running (such as VirtualBox or VMWare) and inthere, keep an exact copy of your installed system.
      So whenever you're thinking about doing something to your "real" configuration, try it out on the Virtual installed system first. I know in VirtualBox (so I guess in VMWare as well) you can go back to a previous configuration whenever something goes wrong. Then don't install it or try it out on your "real" configuration. :-)

b)
      Or....You might wanne perform "apt-get --simulate <package>". That way, the package won't be installed...but it will perform a test-run. For more info....check out:

info apt-get
      -s, --simulate, --just-print, --dry-run, --recon, --no-act
      No action; perform a simulation of events that would occur but do
      not actually change the system. Configuration Item:
      APT::Get::Simulate.

Simulate prints out a series of lines each one representing a dpkg
      operation, Configure (Conf), Remove (Remv), Unpack (Inst). Square
      brackets indicate broken packages with and empty set of square
      brackets meaning breaks that are of no consequence (rare).
      Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

Yeah, I hear you. Linux is not nearly as stable and reliable as the linux faithful make it out to be.
        Any OS is only as stable as the person sitting in front of it.

I know out of my own painfull experience :P

@suan:
        Check in adept/synapic and make sure that:
        - kubuntu-desktop
        - adept
        - kdm
        are still there.

Trashing kde4 can trash those as well.

If they are still there good

If not just install them

If for any reason you have booted down and can't get back in do this:
        Boot into recovery mode then at the prompt type:
        apt-get install kubuntu-desktop adept kdm
        then reboot and you should be fine
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by jacatone

Linux is not nearly as stable and reliable as the linux faithful make it out to be.
          I know the kind of "learning experiences" that lead to that sentiment. I have them often, myself -- I guess Fintan likes to break his setup occasionally, as well.

However, to my personal knowledge, there are Linux OS versions used in embedded applications to run such complex, and mission-critical systems as networked military data radios, where stability and 100% error-free operation are absolute requirements. The software engineers who design such systems would roll on the floor giggling if you ever suggested it could be done with an OS from Redmond. Of course they'd also roll on the floor giggling if you suggested it be done on an Intel or AMD consumer-grade CPU.

Just so you know how wrong such generalizations can be .....

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            Check in adept/synapic and make sure that:
            - kubuntu-desktop
            - adept
            - kdm
            are still there.
            Well I've done this Kubuntu -desktop was missing but I've reinstalled this so does that mean it will be safe to reboot?

By the way for all concerned I do not endorse the view of the first reply, although i do have hiccups being new to this I consider it to be far more stable that XP (and loads in 10% of the time) it's true when things go wrong they are down to my lack of knowledge!

Comment

kubuntu-desktop is a metapackage. It installs (everything) needed for the Kubuntu (KDE) desktop.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Be sure you have kdm and adept as well

Comment

Right -- install kde4-core, kde4, and kdm-kde4 and you should be able to restart and login to KDE4 (he says boldly) ....

Comment

Ok i shall give this one last go, but maybe wait until the morning. Every time I've tried it before it has said that various files are broken, but then looking at your list I didn't install KDM KDE4 just the others, maybe that will make the difference. When I have insalled them do I then need to reboot? also shall I just ignore it if adept says there are broken items (in red text) will these resolve at reboot?

Comment

OK I decided to be brave and go for it but once I had selected the three packages you stated Dibl (and Adept manager had selected a load of other) I ticked the apply changes box and it started doing something and then told me that it couldn't commit changes because it failed to download or committing changes would break other packages and then when I said ok it closed down Adept manager!

Where do I go from here?

Comment

To fix Adept errors:

Open a console and type:
                        Code:
                        sudo dpkg --configure -a
                        should fix it, else continue with
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get clean
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get update
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install
                        See if you don't get any reported errors after this. Please post back.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten to post back I've just been engrossed with my genealogy and haven't had chance to try playing with the OS,will do it soon I hope.

Thanks
                          Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susanpenter

I've just been engrossed with my genealogy
                            What -- a genealogist using Linux? OMG, stand by for a PM!

Comment

Here is the report back as promised:

Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree
                              Reading state information... Done
                              You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these.
                              The following packages have unmet dependencies.
                              amor-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              Depends: kdebase-runtime but it is not installed
                              Depends: kdebase-runtime-data but it is not installed
                              ark-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              blinken-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              juk-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              kalgebra-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              kalzium-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              kcalc-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              kcharselect-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              kcron-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              kdebase-bin: Depends: kdebase-bin-kde3 but it is not installed or
                              kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 but it is not installed
                              kdebase-kde4: Depends: dolphin-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but it i
                              s not installed
                              Depends: kappfinder-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but i
                              t is not installed
                              Depends: kdebase-bin-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but
                              it is not installed
                              Depends: kdebase-data-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but it is not installed
                              Depends: kdepasswd-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but it is not installed
                              Depends: kfind-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but it is not installed
                              Depends: konqueror-nsplugins-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~pp a1) but it is not installed
                              Depends: konqueror-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but it is not installed
                              Depends: konsole-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but it i s not installed
                              Depends: kwrite-kde4 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but it is not installed
                              Depends: libkonq5 (>= 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1~gutsy1~ppa1) but it is no t installed
                              kdm-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              libkdeedu4-kde4: Depends: kde-icons-oxygen but it is not installed
                              E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Also having tried to log out and use Ubuntu instead the only option I have is KDE (referring to page 110 Linux Format May 2008 issue) so I guess the Gnome Meta packages are missing. I'll try opening adept again as I see I have the notifier in my system tray I shall respond to that first.

Comment

Working...
                              X