This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu & Kubuntu

I have noticed that some of the programs I download and install for the Gnome desktop appear in my Kicker menu and others download but I can't find how to run them. This has led to a couple of questions.

Will Compiz work in Kubuntu? I have a GL Desktop icon in my system tray and ticked the options that I wanted and nothing changed.

Secondly if I wanted to have both desktops would I have to install this as a dual boot system in two partitions or could I have two desktops and just log out of one desktop and log into the other?

I'm afraid when I get up and running with something I always want to take it as far as I can - I became a windows champion but I want to champion this even more.

Thanks
    Susan
    Kubuntu 7.10<br />Desperate for KDE4

Re: Ubuntu &amp; Kubuntu

Compiz works a charm here. Since it seems you have both desktops installed, I can't say what the effect would be on Compiz. I do know for Kubuntu, I have great success with the Emerald Decorator and also having compizconfig-settings-manager installed. The settings manager will appear in the kmenu system. As far as some Gnome items not appearing in kmenu could be related to how Gnome tags it as to what section of the menu it should be. I've seen that before and have always created the item myself. I usually go int Adept Manager, find the package I installed, look at the information for that package and find the run command for the application. Hope this helps.

Edit:
    Secondly if I wanted to have both desktops would I have to install this as a dual boot system in two partitions or could I have two desktops and just log out of one desktop and log into the other?
    Just reread and saw this. So you want to have both. AFAIK you can have both on the same install. At the login screen you click on the login options and choose which one you want. Some items for each will show in the others menu system.

Comment

Originally posted by susanpenter

Will Compiz work in Kubuntu?
      Sure -- check out the "Image Gallery" link on top of this page, where some of us have uploaded screen shots of compiz setups.

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205002

both Desktops: in case that becomes relevant for you; I've not tried this yet, but others here & elsewhere have
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I actually have one system that has the Fluxbuntu DT and the Xubuntu DT. No problems. I doubt G and K would.

Comment

Working...
          X