This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner buggered again

Darn, after some absence, I finally got my system going. Windows royally buggered things up for me. It seems I swopped two cables on my HDD's when I installed Linux as dual boot after I installed WinXP. So I lost my carefully saved files. Sigh... Hours of downloads down the drain. Tip for myself. Next time back up on CD.

The first time I installed Kubuntu Breezy, I had no problems with my scanner. For some silly reason, it does not want to work now. It complains about "Scanner not found." I mean I used the same install CD as before. Anyone knew a fix around this? The scanner does get detected, but it still won't scan.

Then I would love to know how to PROPERLY archive my downloads to a CD. I had backups on my disk, and copied it all to the new install, but still its useless, there always seem to be missing programs. Is there a way that I can say have the equivelant of "Save as" in windows, but with the effect of Synaptic being able to recognize it as an archive from CD? Of course what really would be terriffic is to say make some install image of my "updated" Breezy at any given date. If then things fail, I want to run the CD and install fresh from where I left off.
    Regards

Re: Scanner buggered again

1) Have you installed sane-utis, libsane, libsane-extras and a front end like kooka?

2) Investigate a program called kdar whcih is a very easy front end for "dar", which is a modernized version of tar. Kdar will split a backup into CD or DVD size chunks. The best part, at least for me, is that it does differential backups.

Comment

"Differential back-ups?"
      What is that?

Got all the programs as mentioned, nothing works. I can't see why the same CD that worked first time, won't do it the second time with a fresh install.

But I am trying to reinstall the whole shebang since grub throwed me an error 17 lately. I am still trying to find a fix, since I know the cause by now! See me latest posts.

Comment

1) It just occurred to me that scanner not found might mean that it didn't find the scanner at all, instead of meaning that it couldn't identify the scanner from its database. I would verify that the scanner is properly connected and that it is turned on.

2) A differential backup is one that backs up only those files that have changed since the previous full backup. This means that instead of holding a large set of large full backups, so that you can retrieve a file that was lost a few backups ago, all you need is a single full backup and a set of differential backups that note the changes from the full backups at various tiimes in the past. This saves a lot of time and makes backing up much less of a pain than otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          1) It just occurred to me that scanner not found might mean that it didn't find the scanner at all, instead of meaning that it couldn't identify the scanner from its database.  I would verify that the scanner is properly connected and that it is turned on.

2) A differential backup is one that backs up only those files that have changed since the previous full backup. This means that instead of holding a large set of large full backups, so that you can retrieve a file that was lost a few backups ago, all you need is a single full backup and a set of differential backups that note the changes from the full backups at various tiimes in the past.  This saves a lot of time and makes backing up much less of a pain than otherwise.
          Thanx, would love to figure out one day how to do a differential back up, sounds the way to go. Have other problems now trying to boot with Grub, but you have replied to my other post already!

Comment

Working...
          X