This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution settings keep changing

I'm running Kubuntu 7.10. I downloaded and installed the nvidia-glx driver for my Nvidia GeForce card and brought up settings in Konsole. Set my resolution at 1024X768 at 60Hz, clicked Apply then save to xorg.conf, but when I reboot it reverts to 70Hz. How do I permanently fix it at 60Hz?

Re: Resolution settings keep changing

You have to do it as Super User (user doesn't have permission to write changes to xorg.conf).

Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" with no quote marks, and give password. Then set it, "Save to X Configuration File" and it will be saved as default.

p.s. my experience is that it is better to fix the resolution and let the refresh stay on "auto"

Comment

Didn't work. It still boots in 70Hz. Is there another way to fix this?

Comment

When I was first setting up my Kubuntu, I had a similar problem in that it was always reverting to a resolution for wide-screens, and giving me a 'squished' display..

I tried a lot of ways to fix it, and even adjusting the default section of xorg.conf didn't seem to work..

eventually I just went into xorg.conf (right click > action > edit as root) and deleted every mention of a resolution+refresh besides the one I wanted to use, and that fixed it for me..

if you don't ever need to switch resolutions, this may be the way to go..

Comment

I thought of that as well. I notice in my xorg.config file there's a lot of resolution entries. Would I delete them all, then as super user change the nvidia settings? Just don't want to start all over again. Thanks.

Comment

I actually had a problem after running an application in WINE that crashed. That program changed the Res/Freq but when it crashed didn't reset to original. Changed it back, so I thought, but after I rebooted my monitor would go black because the Freq was wrong. Couldn't figure out why. Poked around here: /home/USERNAME/.kde/share/config/ and found a configuration file that had a Freq setting in it. Changed that one entry to what I thought it should be and it fixed my issue. I don't know what that files is as I'm not at that system at the moment. When I can get it I'll pot it here. Might help others in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jacatone
              I thought of that as well. I notice in my xorg.config file there's a lot of resolution entries. Would I delete them all, then as super user change the nvidia settings? Just don't want to start all over again. Thanks.
              Probably this will work, just as Dr. N says. If you do it that way, there's no need to re-run nvidia-settings -- that is just a utility to overwrite xorg.conf with your preferred settings.

You need to be a little cautious fixing the refresh rate. If you fix both resolution and refresh, you will leave your card nowhere to go but crash if you happen to run an app that tries to exceed the fixed limits that you have set. That's why I fix the resolution and leave refresh on "auto". I haven't tried it the other way, i.e. fix the refresh and let the resolution float.

Good luck -- let us know how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                I actually had a problem after running an application in WINE that crashed. That program changed the Res/Freq but when it crashed didn't reset to original. Changed it back, so I thought, but after I rebooted my monitor would go black because the Freq was wrong. Couldn't figure out why. Poked around here: /home/USERNAME/.kde/share/config/ and found a configuration file that had a Freq setting in it. Changed that one entry to what I thought it should be and it fixed my issue. I don't know what that files is as I'm not at that system at the moment. When I can get it I'll pot it here. Might help others in the future.
                That file name is "displayconfigrc". Like I said, I changed the Refresh setting and it corrected mine. The Height and Width settings were already set appropriately.

Comment

hmm.. I wonder if displayconfigrc could have fixed my problem as well..

bookmarking this since I plan to do a fresh install with Hardy after next month..

Comment

Working...
                  X