This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bootable CD

Where can I get information on how to make a bootable CD?

Re: Bootable CD

google
    how to make bootable CD
    http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...ient=firefox-a
    It's a start
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you. I'll take a look in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        google
        how to make bootable CD
        http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...ient=firefox-a
        It's a start
        I was thinking of a bootable CD using Linux. I tried searching with Google, but didn't see anything that would explain how to do it from scratch.

Comment

Basically, you just need 3 things:

1. An installed Linux system
          2. A CD burning app that can burn ISO images
          3. An ISO image to burn

Which one(s) are you having trouble with?

Comment

Which program would burn the CD? I want to make the ISO file myself, so that only the programs that I want are on it.

Comment

I'm going to admit my ignorance on this subject, but it's worth it because I also have a certain project in mind, but have not had the time to look into this subject.

On #3, the iso image, problem is, many of those come ready-made for you. What do you do if there is NOT a ready-made iso, El Torito, bootable image to use? If you know bootable-floppy technology, you can build it there and use that to build your CD-bootable image. Otherwise, you need some other knowledge/methods. We know this is doable, because, well, folks do it with raw, basic programs they make as bootable Live CD applications. One method would be to grab one of those Live CDs and study its files. Another thing I see is that some people grab a light-weight Linux Distro (e.g., Gentoo) and ride their special apps on it on CD (e.g., GParted Live CD, with TestDisk, Partimage, etc.). So that's an idea most of us could do, assuming you can learn how to add programs to the CD (as part of Gentoo), and that would be learn-able.

I'm hoping someone will think this post is so naive/stupid, that they will jump in and help us out here

EDIT: You're ahead of me, georgiatech. In Linux, try K3b.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

georgiatech,

Soon, if no one steps in, a favorite app, GParted (an excellent, industrial-grade partition editor, approx 50 MB) will no longer be available as a ready-to-burn iso to live CD. The GParted project itself is alive and well, so the basic gparted program is available and will be so. How would you start with the basic gparted program and get it to a live CD? That's meant to be a rhetorical/open question if you have time to think about it, or write a how-to for us here (under Documentation). It's on my to-do list, also.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike

EDIT: You're ahead of me, georgiatech. In Linux, try K3b.
                  Right -- K3b is my favorite. Brasero is also a good one, if you're of the Gnome persuasion.

Comment

I don't know how to do any of this, but I'll try some of your suggestions. Thank you. I'll report back, if I'm not too embarassed to.

Comment

I am confused as to what you are trying to get done. For some of it I am thinking that you would like to build your own distrubution or CD. For the other part I am thinking you would just like to burn an existing distrubution to CD. Can you help me understand which you are trying to do?

Mike
                      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Sure, it's a simple thing that I'm trying to do. I downloaded an ISO image and burned it onto a CD. It boots on my computer, but it's missing Kate and the Search feature. I downloaded another ISO image and burned it onto another CD. It also works AND it has Kate and the Search feature, but it doesn't have the programs that are on the first CD. I want to take the programs from the first CD and copy them to the second CD. Then I can use Kate and the search feature, with the transferred programs. Now the next question is, what is the name of the batch file that sets the path for executables?

Comment

http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/i...d=14&Itemid=37

This might be what you are looking for.

Mike
                          http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Reconstructor looks good, but it's going to take me a while to figure this one out. Thank you very much.

Comment

Then maybe something here might help; as I recall, he uses a genisoimage command. All this starts with iso's and modifies them, then build back to Live CD:
                              http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...ub_DiskGParted

Comment

Working...
                              X