This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ! Cannot boot from install CD

I am new to Linux. I'm a fairly adept pc user but can't seem to get past this issue.

The problem:

I believe my BIOS allows me to boot from ATAPI CD (it is an option in the boot order select menu) & I select this option. However, it will not recognize device and fails.

I created a boot floppy using the SBM image in the install dir. It works but only sees the floppy, IDE HD and several device slots (IRQs ?). It seems to be telling me that the CD drives (I have two ) are either not seen, or are not bootable devices (not sure which).

Does anyone have any ideas? I tried an old Corel Linux CD with its boot floppy and it works fine on the system (I didnt intall though). I'm thinking one of the Linux disks on bootdisk.com?!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. -Ross

Re: Help ! Cannot boot from install CD

Do your CD drives work at all? In other words, do they play music CDs, install software, etc? (From another operating system - Windows?)

Can you boot your machine with another type of bootable CD? If not, and you've set the BIOS boot order to boot from CD first, then I would think you've got some kind of a hardware problem. Most, if not all PC BIOS' in the last 6 or so years have the capability to boot from CD.

It might be a good idea to open up your PC and make sure you have the drives properly cabled and jumpered. Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by chscag
      It might be a good idea to open up your PC and make sure you have the drives properly cabled and jumpered.
      I'd advise this too, SBM boot should give you the option to boot from the CDs if they are properly installed, cabled, jumpered and recognized.

Comment

Thanks guys

I actually came to that conclusion as well last night. I tried booting from an XP install CD and it began to work, then crapped out. I found out from my wife (it's her pc) that the CD drives have been acting flakey recently.

I think I need to remove one, check the connections, etc.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X