This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Update Confusions

Is Full Upgrade in Adept Manager different from "sudo apt-get update"? If yes, what differences does it make? I just "sudo apt-get update" my box but there's still an update icon on my system tray. Im confused...

Re: Update Confusions

About sudo apt-get update

APT HOWTO
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap.../index.en.html

APT HOWTO
    Chapter 3 - Managing packages
    3.1 Updating the list of available packages

The packaging system uses a private database to keep track of which packages are installed, which are not installed and which are available for installation. The apt-get program uses this database to find out how to install packages requested by the user and to find out which additional packages are needed in order for a selected package to work properly.

To update this list, you would use the command apt-get update...
    About apt-get upgrade

3.4 Upgrading packages

Package upgrades are a great success of the APT system. They can be achieved with a single command: apt-get upgrade...

It's useful to run this command with the -u option. This option causes APT to show the complete list of packages which will be upgraded. Without it, you'll be upgrading blindly...
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

thanks Rog131!

Comment

When you see the Adept Notifier icon in the system tray, it's your notification that updates to packages you have installed are available. You just click on the icon. You will be prompted for your password and a window with open. Click the Fetch Updates button in the lower right corner. This will fetch the packages. When down, you have the option to Apply or Forget. This allows you the opportunity to see the packages that are upgradeable.

I keep two separate log files (text files) - one for Adept Notifier changes and the other for Adept Manager changes (changes I make myself). I note every package that Adept Notifier shows me in the first log. This way, should my system become 'different in any way' after the upgrades are installed, I know what packages to start looking at. A small section from each log:

Adept Notifier Change Log

2007-12-08
        e2fslibs
        e2fsprogs
        libblkid1
        libcomerr2
        libss2
        libuuid1

2007-12-10
        libcairo2

2007-12-12
        libcairo2
        Adept Manager Change Log

2008-02-17
        Installed:
        kde4-core (via sudo apt-get)
        Note: Following instructions at http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.1.php
        for installing KDE 4
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          I keep two separate log files (text files) - one for Adept Notifier changes and the other for Adept Manager changes (changes I make myself). I note every package that Adept Notifier shows me in the first log. This way, should my system become 'different in any way' after the upgrades are installed, I know what packages to start looking at.
          That's a great idea. Are the logs generated automatically? Or are you using a script?

Comment

Just two text documents created/managed with Kate.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X