X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a live cd with additional specific packages

Hello,

I've been using hoary badger live cd for a few months and I really would like to compile using gcc. I saw that the gcc 4 libraries are on the live cd, but not the actual compiler. I was wondering how would I go about making a customized live cd based on kubuntu that would have gcc?

I did a search trying to figure out how to do this, but I must be using search words that aren't giving me any useful info or helping me. I also looked at the "seed" management but it is a bit lacking in details on what I need to do. (besides looking into germinate in more depth)

Any info on rolling a live cd with this extra package included would be appreciated!
    L.

Re: Making a live cd with additional specific packages

If I wanted to make a live CD, I would start with Knoppix, rather than the standard Ubuntu live-cd. I would get a cheap knoppix disk (roughly $5 US incl. postage) and I would search the web for info on cloning knoppix with some or all of the kubuntu s/w. Both knoppix and kubuntu are debian derivatives, so there is nothing illegal or immoral about doing this provided all the appropriate licenses are honored.

The advantage of doing it this way is twofold: knoppix has by far the best hardware recognition package in the live-cd world, and, because knoppix is widespread, there's lots of information available on how to clone it to make your own live cd.

Comment

Soon enough, we will have clickibunti, which will allow us to make our own custom CD's in an online interface. It was discussed in #ubuntu-meetings last week

edit: quick title search found something: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomLiveCD...esearch=Titles
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

askrieger:

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked into it, and I found a link at the Debian Admin site (http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/125) that offers something that sounds like what you are suggesting.

Nirvana:

That sounds very interesting and far easier than rolling my own distro. Do you know how soon an alpha site might be up and running? I have a time frame that I want to have this done by, and that will allow me to decide which option I should go with.

On the lighter side, when I first saw the word "clickibunti", I read it as "clickitbuni". I had a good chuckle over that. Nothing like a mild case of dyslexia.

Thanks,
        L.

Comment

That looks GREAT! I'm registered at Debian-Administration, but I missed that post and its sequels. Now I'm hot to make a couple of live-cds as single cdrom subsets of my desktop to take on business trips with my laptop e.g. kubuntu w/ compilers, kubuntu w/ Octave, etc. Maybe even kubuntu w/ TuxRacer and Frozen Bubble to use on the plane :-)

Comment

Working...
          X