This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No printer and cups

For some reason cups will not see my printer any longer. I have tried reinstalling cups and using Snowhog's suggestion to install cupsys-driver-gutenprint, it worked once before but not now. Installed and reinstalled all but I am unable to add a printer and local usb is greyed out. The printer is an HP7260.

Thanks for your help

Re: No printer and cups

What I did to get my printer working:

1. Installed the cupsys-driver-gutenprint
    2. Shutdown PC. Turn on printer and wait for it to be 'ready'
    3. Restart system
    4. K Menu | System Settings | Printers | Add | Add Printer/Class | Next
    5. Check Local printer (parallel, serial, USB) | Next
    6. Click on Unknown USB #1 | Next
    7. Select Manufacturer [In my case, Panasonic, and Model KX-P4410] | Next
    8. Keep recommended driver | Next
    The remaining steps test print (works!) and set up the printer name and location.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes this is a real problem as I have done just as you have said Snowhog (and thanks again). Reinstalled everything several times as well. It seems as though when the packages are removed and reinstalled they are broken as if they really were not removed. I ran into this with updating to newer versions of wine and had to manually delete the wine folder before reinstallation. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I feel as though I had the same problem with a change in modems a few weeks ago.
      Thanks again

Comment

What packages are reported as BROKEN in Adept Manager? Also, what version of Kubuntu are you using?

Comment

I don't see any broken packages and I'm using Gusty.

Yhanks

Comment

Let's verify installed packages. In Adept Manager, search on cups with the option not installed unchecked. This is what I have installed:
            bluez-cups
            cups-pdf
            cupsys
            cupsys-bsd
            cupsys-client
            cupsys-common
            cupsys-driver-gutenprint
            libcupsimage2
            libcupsys2
            Then search on printer. This is what I have installed:
            bluez-cups
            cups-pdf
            cupsys-driver-gutenprint
            foo2zjs
            foomatic-db
            foomatic-db-engine
            foomatic-db-gutenprint
            foomatic-db-hpijs
            foomatic-filters
            libgutenprint2
            min12xxw
            openprinting-ppds
            pxljr
            splix
            From these two lists, identify the ones that don't show as installed, if any.

Comment

From the first list everything is installed. But how do you check the second list on the printer.

Thanks

Comment

In Adept Manger just search on "printer" (no quotes) just like you searched on "cups" (no quotes).

Comment

If you're using an HP printer, have you got "hplip" installed? You can use the HPLIP Toolbox (under System in the K menu) to install the printer.

Comment

Thanks James that seems to have gotten my printer back. Thanks Snowhog as always!
                    It is weird, however, the "local printer serial usb (etc.)" is still greyed out even though I have everything you have listed (Snowhog). This could be a problem in the future and I am still curious as to why and how to repair it.
                    Also, in my late night frustration I forgot to mention that all this started when trying to establish a samba connection between my wife's xp system and Kubuntu. Hope that wasn't significant.

Thanks again.

Comment

Glad you're 'back in business!'

Comment

Hey guys,

I've installed Kubuntu Gutsy and am trying to set up printing on a Canon i560. Now, I know that Gutenprint supports the printer. I had Ubuntu Gutsy installed before, and was able to install the printer straight out-of-the-box, so I don't think it's a Gutsy problem.
                        Having re-installed Kubuntu Gutsy for the n-th time, just to make sure I was using the installation in its unaltered state, I made sure that all of the packages listed in Snowhog's earlier post are installed, and then some (eg. libgutenprintui2-1). Then:
                        1. I connected the printer via USB.
                        2. Went into K Menu | System Settings | Printers | Add | Add Printer/Class | Next
                        3. Check Local printer (parallel, serial, USB) | Next
                        4. In Local Port Selection, I see:
                        Local System
                        Parallel
                        Serial
                        USB
                        Canon i560 USB #1
                        Canon i560
                        Others
                        Gutenprint USB Printer #1
                        Canon i560
                        HP Fax (HPLIP)
                        HP Printer (HPLIP)
                        SCSI Printer
                        5. Select Others -> Gutenprint USB Printer #1 -> Canon i560
                        6. Selected shows "URI: Canon:/dev/usb/lp0" | Next
                        7. Printer Model Selection: Select Manufacturer: CANON
                        8. Model: **i560 does not appear**.

What amazes me is that the printer connected to the tin-brain is recognised as a Canon i560, but there is no driver visible to me.

I have tried re-installing the cups packages after the gutenprint packages, and then the gutenprint packages again, just in case installation of one depends on the prior installation of the other.

Nothing!

What glues gutenprint to cups? There must be an action, or a step, or a package in between cups and gutenprint that makes the gutenprint drivers appear for selection. What can it be? I've tried restarting the computer between re-installation of packages; I'm pulling my hair out.

Can anyone help?

**Incidentally, I'm a newby, so any advice has to be spelt out step-by-step, reason by reason, package by package, etc. Otherwise, anyone who chooses to respond to this would be wasting their time, 'cos i don't know sh**, so assume no prior knowledge of anything (except maybe surfing the net and looking for answers, but not finding any).

TIA & Regards,
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve.t

5. Select Others -> Gutenprint USB Printer #1 -> Canon i560
                          6. Selected shows "URI: Canon:/dev/usb/lp0" | Next
                          I think this may be where you're going wrong, Steve. Try selecting the

Code:
                               USB
                                 Canon i560 USB #1
                                    Canon i560
                          printer. Then next screen will (oddly) present you the entire list of manufacturers, and you'll have to click "Canon" again, and then you should be presented, in the right-hand window, the list of Canon models.

HTH!

Comment

Thanks for that quick response, dibl. No luck on that front. The only "i"s appearing in the Model pane for Canon are "imageRunner 330s" and "iP4000".

In the meantime, I uninstalled all foomatic packages, just in case the foomatic stuff was messing with cups and gutenprint being able to talk to each other. I don't know whether that could possibly have any bearing on the problem, but it didn't make any difference anyway.

Happy to try as many suggestions as you're willing to throw at me.

Cheers,
                            Steve

PS. I like your avatar; very cool in a strange way.

Comment

Originally posted by steve.t

The only "i"s appearing in the Model pane for Canon are "imageRunner 330s" and "iP4000".
                              Mehhhhh -- that means your printer is not in the foomatic-db database (or wasn't, before you deleted it).

I bought a Canon printer when I set up my mother in-law on a Kubuntu Feisty system last year, and I ended up paying $30 for a turbuprint driver, because there was no open-source driver. It works great. Unless you can find evidence that there is an open source driver for your printer here:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

I'm afraid you have very few alternatives. Here's the Turboprint site:

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

I checked -- they support your printer. Just make sure you save the download securely, in case of future re-installation.

PS. I like your avatar; very cool in a strange way.
                              Thanks! I like to take old photos, find an interesting character, and then use gimp to outline him, cut him out, and make a little avatar. I have a small collection of weird little guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X