• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little help!

Hello fellas!

another noob here

i've been using windows for a long time and just installed kubuntu
    i was amazed at first how my old pc was performing so well with it... loads fast... apps open fairly fast too... the only small issue i had with it was one with the nvidia drivers but i followed the instructions on the screen and got it fixed!

i got a p4 1.6, 512 ram, 20gb hdd and a gforce3 hehe amazing how i did not have to look for anydrivers kubuntu did it all for me!

not the greatest pc around but does a good job.

anyhow i've got a few questions! I would like to know how to set the apps to only load when i double click them instead of single clicking...

on top of that i closed the volume app the little speaker on the taskbar thinking my sound wasn't working ... stupid me had the jack connected to the onboard sound card which no longer works :P
    now it won't come back up... i found how to add an applet there but the applet isn't the same and i want my old sound thingy back...

and third every time i want to install any repository it asks for the installation cd... i borrowed my dad's pc dvd drive to install kubuntu and need to put the original drive back which does not read dvds...

how do i make it so that when i have to install an application it will go download what ever it needs of the internet instead?

EDIT:
    Another quick question how does one go about a personal document folder like My Documents in windows? do i just put every thing into home or user? regards!

thank u all!

Re: Little help!

Hi CattinMarc,

Welcome to the Linux world. To set the double click you will need to go into system settings. Then select windows behavior. I believe you will find the settings for the double/single click in there. All you configuration for the desktop can be accomplished from this utility. For the volume you will need to click on mulitimedia and select KMIX. This will reopen the volume control on the task bar. For adding software if you don't want to be prompted for the install cd click on system then adept manager. Once adept manager opens click on adept on the top left and click on manage repositories. You should be able to deselect the cd from there. For documents you can create a folder in your home directory and name it my documents. That is what I have done.

J
    8)

Comment

Hi Marc (I think?),

Welcome to Kubuntu!

Just another manual for you, Jamie already said it!

1) The setting to change the clicking behaviour, you will find in "System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse > Tab General". Right where you expected it!
      2) The sound application is called KMix and is in the "Multimedia" application group.
      3) Go to "System > Adept Manager". Now Click on the menu: "Adept > Manage Repositories". You might want to enable all the repositories in the "Kubuntu Software" Tab. Also check the "Third-Party Software" Tab. You could disable the CD-rom as a source of software. In the "Updates" tab, select the "Security updates" and the "Recommended updates".
      4) personal files are stored in "/home/[username]" (called "home" in Dolphin and Konqueror). Each user has it's own directory there. Also, in this folder most (if not all) user-specific application settings are stored. They are in directories starting with a ".", which are hidden by default. If you ever need them, you can make Dolphin or Konqueror to show hidden files in the "View" menu.

Have fun!
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

You guys are awesome! thanks loads!
        Man i'm loving kubuntu aye!!
        apart from having to install firefox plugins from Konsole everything else is sweet!!

i'll be posting a tutorial on installing flash soon i swear it took me a while to get everything going aye =\\\\

oh by the way do you guys have anything like yz dock in linux?
        it's similar to the dock seen on macs!
        that would be the shiz!!!

another little thing i couldn't find a proper tutorial on getting the java environment to run applets properly =(...

regards!

Marcio!

Comment

Working...
        X