Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insert the Kubuntu DVD when istalling software, why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insert the Kubuntu DVD when istalling software, why?

This one should be the quickest one of the evening. Sometimes when you install software from adept it asks for the Kubuntu DVD. It appears to be looking for headers, but I don't know. What exactly is it looking for and is there any way to copy that stuff to the HD so I don't have to fish out the DVD when I want to install stuff?

-Tom

Re: Insert the Kubuntu DVD when istalling software, why?

Try this:
    1) run the command
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    2) place a comment (#) mark in front of the line that says something like "deb dvdrom..." so it looks like # deb dvdrom..., I believe it should be the 1st "deb" entry in the file.

3) save and exit Kate, and run the command
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    4) try to install something
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

You can also look at System>Adept Manager>Adept>manage repositories and on the third party software tab uncheck the box for the disc, (mine says cd-rom)

Comment

This seems to have solved the problem. Thanks.

-Tom

Comment

No problem; I believe someone is working on having the CD automatically commented out for the Hardy release, but I'm not certain.
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
          X