X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Tube Videos

A couple of very basic questions from a total newbie:

Is it possible to view You Tubes videos with Kubuntu ? At present I'm not able to.

Is there any software that I need to download?

And another very basic question that I have is; can you use .exe files with linux or is that a no no?

One more; Can you download files normally like you would do in Windows or should you always use Add/Remove Applications or Package Manager?

Tezzaa (total newbie but willing to learn)

Re: You Tube Videos

Last first. Use Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manager) for installing packages.
    .exe files - almost never.
    As to videos et al, see my post on HOW to Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine.
    Also, you should review HOW to Play MP3 files and HOW to Get non-free multimedia codecs
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

First question: Yes, you can view videos on youtube. This requires the Adobe Flash plugin. Install 'flashplugin-nonfree' and 'konqueror-nsplugins'. You can use 'Add/Remove Programs', Adept or apt-get from a konsole.

Second question: Some .exe files can be used if you install wine.

Third question: Yes, there are many programs you can download and install from the internet.

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Paul and Mike,

Thank you both very much for your replies

Tezzaa

Comment

Originally posted by monte48lowes
          Yes, there are many programs you can download and install from the internet.
          However, it is nearly always quicker, easier and more reliable to get them from Adept, since those programs are packaged especially for Kubuntu.

Comment

Just a friendly word of advice: Stick with using Adept Manager. Should you want, you can install Synaptic, another package manager, which you will find in Adept Manager. Both are compatible with *ubuntu, and you can use either one. In time you will (if you haven't already) hear about a third package manager - Automatix - STAY AWAY FROM IT! You'll hear others praise this program, even though there are many, MANY, MANY posts here in this Forum stating otherwise. Automatix can, does, and has BROKEN many users systems. It isn't that it's a malicious program, it just doesn't cooperate with the way *ubuntu is configured for package management.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

James and Paul, you are correct. Programs should be installed via Adept/Synaptic. There are many other files which are also available... http://www.kde-look.org/

It is best though, to use Adept/Synaptic to install programs.

Mike
              http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Couldn't agree more. In the 2+ years (yes, and still a noob) I have been using Kubuntu, it has finally dawned on me that if I stick with the apps that are in the Adept packages I have a lot less trouble. Then, I have to find newer and more inventive ways of breaking things.

After a time, you will learn how things work and you can please yourself how you do things. Till then, though, I would stick with the packages in the repositories.

And welcome to Kubuntu, by the way.

Cheers

Lowey
                I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

And nice to meet you

Terry

Comment

try to dowm load lash player then it might work i know i still have not got it as well it is anoying isn't it
                    I love fairy&#39;s i would love to become one as they are so beautiful and special. I changed my name it used to be amber123.

Comment

One of the problems with downloading and installing programs like flashplugin is they require you to accept a license agreement, which is presented but not obvious if you are using Adept or Synaptic. It is better to download and install them from the Command Line in a terminal. Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
                      This will install the needed plugin for Firefox and you will be able to view youtube videos in Firefox.

Comment

Anytime you are using Adept to install (which I recommend) and the progress bar stops, your first assumption should be that it is waiting for input. Click the details(?) button to the right of the progress bar and you should be able to see what adept is waiting for. They are starting to fix some of the installs so that they pop up there own window separate from adept so it is a bit more straightforward. Like detonate said, I use the command line, but more for installing groups of apps.

Comment

I find the easiest way to install flash is just to point my browser at a sight that uses it and it will prompt me that I need flash to view some stuff and would I like to click a button to install it (note: this doesn't work with youtube because they are too smart for their own good and coded up a thing to spot that you don't have flash and tell you about it, it will however work with any bands myspace page. Note 2:works for both konqueror and firefox).

Comment

Working...
                          X